Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Backpack hunting & meat hauling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 PM

Backpack hunting & meat hauling

Its currently deer season in Oregon, and this year I really got into backpack hunting. I have been looking at all sorts of bags, Kirafu, Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock...etc. I haven't decided yet, but wanted to share a pleasant surprise. I have an older snowboard pack that was designed to carry a snowboard sideways. This looked like its design could possibly haul some meat out of the woods, so it got loaded with hunting gear for the season. Well this morning I shot a little meat buck and hauled it out in the pack. Total weight on the pack was 125.6 lbs. I was impressed especially because this pack was not intended to carry even close to that much weight. Obviously not the most comfortable, but definitely doable. Speaks well of DAKINE backpacks although I don't have to much use for snowboard bags any more....priorities kinda change as you age.

O yeah, the bag model is a DAKINE Poacher.....And yes I had a tag and no the deer was not poached.

If anyone has recommendations or experience on a good backpack choice for heavy loads let me know I'm in the market and trying to decide.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Backpack hunting & meat hauling-vlcsnap-2013-10-02-17h24m09s109.png  
Old 10-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Backpack hunting & meat hauling

They say the line between genius and insanity is thin! I started thinking that's just nuts, but my curiosity kicked in maybe you've got something there! I alway respect folks working with what they've got, to come up with something new. Congratulations on your deer, and thanks for shifting my brain out of neutral today.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

Brilliant!

I've tried E-stock, Nimrod, Dana, Ultimate, Kelty, and recently Mystery Ranch. The only pack I've tried that beats a Dana for comfort & stability with stupid-heavy loads is the Mystery Ranch.

If you do talk to MR, send them that pic- they have a huge collection of crazy pack pictures- yours deserves to be there.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

I thought that you had wrestled that buck and were holding onto his antlers for an edge in the fight!
Well done on "making it work"!
Old 10-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Bronze Member

That's a great picture! I also have packs by Dana Design and Mystery Ranch. I think the Mystery Ranch pack is great. It is set up for hauling a good load. I use the Crew Cab, which also has an open space between the frame and the back bag. I got mine from craigslist for a good deal.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtabor View Post
That's a great picture! I also have packs by Dana Design and Mystery Ranch. I think the Mystery Ranch pack is great. It is set up for hauling a good load. I use the Crew Cab, which also has an open space between the frame and the back bag. I got mine from craigslist for a good deal.
Thanks I've been keeping an eye out for any to pop up on craigalist for a good deal. I might just bite the bullet and buy one soon. How is the weight with the crew cab? Also can it be used for a weekend bag to camp out of?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Bronze Member

I think the weight of the crew cab is fine. I've never had a second thought about it. I use it to pack in on 5 day hunts. And then I use it to carry each day while hunting. It's adaptable for both uses, and it compacts down very small for the long hikes. I added the optional load cells after I got the pack to help organize everything, and to be able to pack in all that I needed. It also has the lid, which helps secure tall loads, and adds more storage. Even getting a deal on it, after adding the load cells and lid it was still an investment. But I think it might last twenty years or longer, so it seems to me to be a smart way to go.
I found mine by searching on google "site:Craigslist.org mystery ranch". That searches every city. Then you can see if someone will ship it to you.
Good luck.