Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Alcohol stove???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Alcohol stove???

I played with several designs, including a store bought one, and mine is much easier. Just fill it and light it. No hassle with an extra saucer to add fuel to start it. Also, if mine gets stepped on, just bend it back out and you're good to go. I can't tell the difference in efficiency, although the little blue jets sure look cool. By the time you get yours burning efficiently, my water is already warm. Gas is more efficient than alcohol, so for some trips I still take my Whisper Lite or Pocket Rocket. But, I took a bad can of gas once for the Rocket. Fortunately, my buddy took his alcohol stove. I've even used the Sierra Stove. It just uses a small battery to fan your twigs. Works, but is more trouble. Don't have to carry any fuel. I modified mine with titanium cup and lithium battery to get it down around 8 oz. Not bad for a week long trip. Definitely light, but I hate black pots and having to throw twigs on every two minutes.

For a hunting spike camp in moderate weather, you can't beat alcohol.