Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Alcohol stove???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Alcohol stove???

Anyone uses alcohol stoves?
They seem to be very light weighted, and could be a good item for backpacking. I was just wondering if anyone uses them, there are a lot of video on youtube on how to make them and how to use them. Pretty interesting. Just wanted to know any personal experiences with them. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Alcohol stove???

I've been using them for a couple of years now.
Tried several different models (all diy) and settled on the SuperCat.
Regular denatured alcohol from the hardware store seems to be the best all around fuel.
Light weight and dependable.

Be sure to practice at home first as they're different in use than other stoves.
Most importantly remember, alcohol flames don't show in sun light.
Your first experiments should be at dusk, enough light to see what you're doing,
dark enough to see the flames.

dk
Old 12-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Bronze Member

check out www.end2endtrailsupply.com they sell them for around $10.00 each and they work great,its not even worth making themyorself at that price
Old 12-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUAINAMACHERO View Post
Anyone uses alcohol stoves?
They seem to be very light weighted, and could be a good item for backpacking. I was just wondering if anyone uses them, there are a lot of video on youtube on how to make them and how to use them. Pretty interesting. Just wanted to know any personal experiences with them. Thanks.

Depends on where you are going to be backpacking. Many places are going to white gas only, like Denali.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Gold Member

I had never heard of an alcohol stove until this thread. Is this too good to be true?? I've been using the Coleman-style white gas stove but it's relatively heavy and bulky. I hate the butane stoves because if you don't have a store carrying the bottle nearby you are screwed. Do these really boil enough water for a dried meal (Mtn House) in a reasonable amount of time? What pressurizes on them to expel the gas to burn?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

I have been building some the past week, just need to try the ideal alcohol-fuel for a honest try. There are many videos on youtube on how to build them. I dont have experience with them, that is the reason why I started this thread. They look like they are very light, and in the internet the info states they are a good item.
Check this website MiniBullDesign. And there are a lot of videos on youtube.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:07 PM

I built 2 pepsi can stoves, and never had good luck with them. Then bought a 35$ Swedish brass stove, and same thing. To long to boil water, to much hassle to deal with, and always just a bit to dicey dealing with the hot water and stove.
Bought a jet boil and love it. Boiling water in a minute, no pots to deal with or clean. I just pour the water in a mtn house packet, and its done with.,,,,,,,,,,a.b.