Advice on backpack hunt gear list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Advice on backpack hunt gear list

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyAlbert View Post
Hi:

Just read your list and the many replies. I plan to review your list in more detail, but wanted to pass along......I'd be happy to send you Tyvek to replace your floor choice.

I am by no means an expert, but have been working on lighter and lighter high quality gear as the years pass. I do Idaho archery and finally made the move from short overnights to hunting with camp on back. The biggest problem is finding someone that wants to do the same.

For this year I am thinking(purchased, but have to test first) of using a tarp and hammock set-up.

I bought a tarp(12 oz) and a hammock(7 oz). Now I have heard that the bottom gets cold, so I might have to carry a pad(closed cell about 14 oz, or self inflating rei 1.5(about 24 oz(I think). I'm also considering using an ultralight sleeping bag to attach under the hammock.

Hennessey Hammock makes systems and I plan to look into those also.

Personally, I think you are carrying too much weight, especially if you are hunting with camp on back.

I have a Marmot Helium EQ(waterproof) in 15 degree, which is too warm in September, but is waterproof on it's own.

Good Luck!

Casey Albert
For a lightweight, comfortable 3-season mattress, check out:

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir - the lightest, most technologically advanced air mattress.

For a bit colder camping, I use this one:

Therm-a-Rest® ProLite Plus self-inflating air mattress. You can see by the R-value that this one insulates better. If you are camped on snow, a second mattress of closed cell foam under you main mattress will do wonders.

Might check out Tarptent Ultralight Shelters as well...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-24-2011, 02:47 AM

Hey JD:

I took a glance at tarptent and your website.

I bought and used a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2, at 2#2oz. Couldn't beat the weight, but as it was extremely wet the first week, moisture buil up was fairly extreme no matter what I did.

I have an idea for a shelter I would like to talk to you about. I am out of the country, but will be back in Virginia Sunday through next Thursday am, then gone again.

Do you know Brett Bittenbender? He is still working in McCall as the Loft Foreman, and it is his fault that I go elking in Idaho every September.

You can send me a pm @ CaseyAlbert@yahoo.com

Many Thanks for your consideration.

Casey Albert
Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
For a lightweight, comfortable 3-season mattress, check out:

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir - the lightest, most technologically advanced air mattress.
The NeoAir looks really nice. Therm-a-rest is quality stuff. I've been using the Big Agnes sleeping pad for a couple seasons and LOVE it. It's cheaper but also heaver than the NeoAir. For comfort I think the thicker/taller the air chambers the better. It's takes some more time to inflate but you sleep like a baby. I don't like waking up cranky because I didn't sleep well.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyAlbert View Post
Hey JD:

I took a glance at tarptent and your website.

I bought and used a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2, at 2#2oz. Couldn't beat the weight, but as it was extremely wet the first week, moisture buil up was fairly extreme no matter what I did.

I have an idea for a shelter I would like to talk to you about. I am out of the country, but will be back in Virginia Sunday through next Thursday am, then gone again.

Do you know Brett Bittenbender? He is still working in McCall as the Loft Foreman, and it is his fault that I go elking in Idaho every September.

You can send me a pm @ CaseyAlbert@yahoo.com

Many Thanks for your consideration.

Casey Albert
tarptent.com is not my website, just to be clear. That is Henry Shires. He's been making these for some time and is fairly well know.

Was Brett working there in the early 90's? That's when I 'jumping' my way through college. I may have met him then as I just a fire or two out of McCall in '91 on a 'round the west' tour then as we chased fire causing storms from region to region than year.

When you get a chance, pm me.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for all the replys.

In addition to the advice I got here I bought 3 books on backpacking or backpack hunting on Ebay that gave me some new ideas. I definitely had to much stuff on my first edition I posted here. I got my new list on an excel spreadsheet and have been trimming weight off it where I can, it's nice to have the totals laid out like that. I also picked up a postage scale off ebay and am going to get accurate weights on all my gear instead of using the manufacturers weight. I will post the revised edition when I get everything accurately weighted. Right now my list is at 33lbs with everything I will carry except food/water. Add those in and it comes to 43.25lbs. I am still looking to trim it further, but where I plan to camp later in the year I don't want to skimp on warmth. Also I plan to pack in and hunt from a stationary camp instead of carrying camp each day.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:33 PM

Hey McSeal:

I am constantly looking up info on ultralight backpacking also. Obviously you must tailor your gear to your particular hunt. I have never used Kifaru, but know from reading that it is great gear.

I use a Badlands 2800 pack, however if I was not planing to hunt with camp on back, I think I would opt for a much lighter backpacking pack which would be nearly two pounds lighter.

Sleeping comfortably is of utmost importance. Only you and your bud know the weather there at that time. Remember if you zip all your windows shut, you will be soaked when you wake up. When I sleep in my Marmot waterproof bag and sleep with head inside, it gets damp. Many people think a mummy bag is restricting, but if you just take the bag with you, they are warmer and more weight efficient. The pad you use(R factor) is important as your bag doesn't provide much warmth when compressed on the ground.

If you plan on hunting the same place, you could make a short trip in, then when you go back, leave your camp and bring more food to stay longer. Or, take a load in and store it in plastic garbage bags.

In Idaho where I plan to archery elk for the foreseeable future, I am hunting with camp on back and carry food for 3-4 days, plus I carried a fly rod to supplement my food. As last year was the first year I carried a fishing rod, I now know I could stay out there for a month if I wanted too. I'm still searching for trout cooking ideas though.

Lastly for now, I think that all the clothes that you carry should be based on layering, as in no spares except socks and underwear. Absolutely NO COTTON.

Keep it coming!

Take care,
Casey Albert
Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

I agree, and have modified my list accordingly. I have changed almost all my clothing to include a light down jacket for long glassing sessions and light hunting pants and jacket with no cotton. Also base layers with the silver lining for bacteria control made from polypropylene

Maybe one of the others that has one could help here, but I'm hoping that having the wood stove in the tent would help with condensation? I was thinking it could be used to dry it out and keep it warm. I know it is small so we couldn't keep it stoked all night, but could have it dry when we go to sleep, and fire it up again in the morning.

I bought an eberlestock J34 pack also to use, it isn't light but it allows comfortable packing of everything, as well as having room to take meat out the first trip. I think we could get all our gear and 1 buck out in a trip, if we both kill we'd have to go back.