Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Advice on backpack hunt gear list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Advice on backpack hunt gear list

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
I have a Steripen, not the new adventure model but the bigger one. I've actually never used it in the field, it is in my truck emergency kit because I have a 12V battery charger in there for AAA-D cells, and some spare batteries. At 6.4oz it is lighter than the Katadyn, I'm just not sure I trust it quite as much. Have you used one?

Also good to know on the quick clot. It will be a last resort if gauze and vet-wrap aren't enough and I don't think we can get to help fast enough. Thanks for the tips.

I think we are getting a couple of the Garmin Rhino's. I have been around hunters whose radios are squauking non-stop, which really irritates me. If you can't handle silence or being alone the mountains are no place for you in my opinion. For an emergency, getting help with a down animal, or such reasons they could be a lifesaver. Having all that in one unit is great, I can pack extra batteries for the weight I save not carrying all 3.

Thanks!

On batts, consider the Energizer Lithium AA' or AAA's. Much lighter, last much longer, work much better than alkaline in cold weather and have a 15 yr shelf life as I recall. Costco has 'em now and their price is pretty hard to beat. Edit: Oh, and I try to work it so that most things that require batts use AA's--headlamp, gps, etc. Nice to pack just one kind of battery.

Edit: BTW, this is my favorite headlamp at the moment: http://www.princetontec.com/index.php?q=apex

At work we use a clotting product called Celox. Apparently it has met with success in Iraq and Afganistan with the military and it is showing up alot more stateside--kinda what I heard anyway. I've used it several times on patients and it works well with no 'burning'--I'd be pretty leary of that and the potential long term effects. Do I carry any with me? No. If I need a serious bandage, my spare clothing I have with me will become the bandage or I'll make a splint out of the aluminum backpack stay (internal frame pack), etc. My point is there's alot that you aleady have with you that you can use for emergency situations and you simply cannot be prepared for them all. Only patients I've had that needed Celox were folks on blood thinners or those who had been drinking alot, which thins the blood as well.

Years ago I used an ice picket (crevasse rescue anchor) to splint a guys apparently broken arm at the bottom of a crevasse who'd made a stupid move and glissaded right into a 60' crevasse. I went down to rig him for hauling out of the crevasse as the only EMT on scene. (He wasn't in our climbing party but we were the first party on scene coming down the mountain that actually had the gear and know how to get the guy out). There's usually a way to make do and you can't carry everything...be nice too, but it's just not practical.

My gut defaults to a good water filter or filter/purifier. A filter filters and that's it...it does not purify. I've been fine with the old standby MSR Miniworks filter for quite a while, using it several times a year. Some of these units, put a chemical into the water as they filter to kill anything else left...that's the purifier part. Wouldn't hurt, but where I typically go, I don't feel the need. If I was routinely filtering water out of some pretty questionable water sources, I might get the combo filter/purifier units.

Eating utensils: REI Campware Spork at REI.com I typically just go with this one item. Virtually unbreakable, cheap and light. I've got an expensive set of titunium silverware for when I go sea kayaking with my wife so she feels like we're not roughing it so much, but metal conducts heat quickly and if you leave it in your hot soup or hot chocolate too long (like i do to let the food cool off) and go to reach for it or put it on your tongue--ouch. Just me. I don't like the spork with a spook on one end and a fork on the other. Just me, switching from one end to the other you get the food you didn't lick off onto your hand and your (likely dirty) hands all over what is going back in your mouth next time you switch ends on the spork.

If you get a Rhino, look at getting the 130 or higher, but with caveat. I've got the 120, my brother has the 130 and I've previously onwed the 110 and my father in law has the new 500 series versions, so I've played with them all. JMHO, but I'd go for the 130. Here's why--it has all the great features of the 120 plus wx (weather) channels and barometer and altimeter. I've found it's barometer to have nearly exactly the same reading as the one as I use for entering station pressure into Exbal for lr shooting. Weather channel can be a very good thing to have with you as well. It takes 3 AA's batts, so you can pack as many AA's with you as you like. I don't come close to even going through 1 set with the hunting I do all year. I don't like using GPS and avoid it if possible, so I don't use it much and batts last a long time, but it is helpful. The 500 series is color and has an expensive proprietary li-ion batt that you have to plug into something to charge. If I have to plug in something to charge it, I don't consider it very wilderness friendly. If I can change out AA's, that's much more wilderness friendly. Yes, the 500 series can use an AA pack, but last I looked, that pack was not rated as watertight, so you've lost that very important aspect of reliability. Sure the 130 is black and white, but that means it takes alot less energy. Sure you can't get the latest whiz bang 1:24000 USGS 7.5 minute series maps put on it, but you know what?...I've been using the relatively cheap Garmin TOPO USA 1: 100K software for year and have rarely been left wanting. I pack a 7.5 min laminiated paper map with me anyway. The GPS is alos essentially a compass and my watch has a compass as well.

Sorry...too much typing.

You might include a 1 oz. bottle of that alcohol hand soap stuff...may go along way to keeping you healthy on a trip after nature calls, etc. Is that on your list? May have missed it.

Again, this is just some of the stuff that I've found that works. There's lots of other ideas out there.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 02-23-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

I think the sleeping bag temp rating you have chosen is not sufficient for late October hunt's in the high country. I have seen the temperature go to -5 or more many nights in October.

I use a North Face tapered bag synthetic fill. Weighs 4.5 lbs and is rated to -40. It's good to about -15 on a thermarest pad in a tent that has a floor then you have to put some socks on ect.

I agree with the 3 days out. That's what we used to do. We carried our packs every day and stayed where ever we were when it got dark. You might want to use a water container so that you can melt the water in case it freezes.

You have a lot of stuff in your list for only going 5 miles from your truck. You can hike that in a couple hours but we are all different with our needs and I don't know yours. Have fun that's the important thing.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

You have a lot of stuff in your list for only going 5 miles from your truck. You can hike that in a couple hours but we are all different with our needs and I don't know yours. Have fun that's the important thing.

I agree, I thought I'd make a big list and then start whittling it down. I'm sure it will be like my daypack list, and after a few trips I will modify it alot. What would you leave off the list?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:11 AM

I donít have a lot of hunting experience but I do have a lot of backpacking experience.

Thereís a lot of sound advice here already.

As for the tent floor you may consider Tyvek. Itís what they use for building houses. Itís soft to the touch and lightweight. You can cut it perfectly to size to fit your tent too. You can probably pick up scraps of it for cheap at a hardware store since it usually comes on large rolls. Itís not fireproof. I use a tent with a floor (2-man at 4lbs.) myself but my next one may be floorless.

The first time I got in a mummy bag I had a mild claustrophobic freak out. Each time I got in it I got more comfortable with it. I practiced at home. Itís all I use now. They will pack down smaller, weigh less and keep you cozy.

Down bags typically will pack down smaller, weigh less and cost more. They are also harder to care for. You donít want to get down wet.

Also, I believe the degree ratings on sleeping bags often are not accurate. I would read reviews and make sure you know how well it will do in the temperatures youíre expecting. I like to add and extra 20 degrees of padding to the numbers.

Typically, I donít use the hood of the sleeping bag. If you wear a winter hat to bed you should be fine in cold weather.

Camelpacks are great. Make sure that your hoses are pushed on tightly. I also recommend buying an elbow with a manual shut off valve if yours doesnít come with one. Shut it off when not in use and youíll reduce the chances of it leakingÖ not 100% but it helps. Always bring a back up canteen or similar.

I took a steri-pen with me on a 4-day solo trip once. It died on the day three giving me an indication that the water had not been purified after waiting for it to do its thing. I must have spent twenty minutes before giving up and boiling my water. I returned it when I got home. Now Iím sticking to water filters with Aquamira Water Purifier tablets or similar for backup.

Do you have a link to that stove? Iíve never heard of it.

I use a compressed fuel-burning stove but thatís because cooking is at the heart of my outdoor experience. I value it and allow my cooking set-up to take up more room and weight in my pack than some. Check out something like the MSR PocketRocket Stove.

Youíre food list looks good. I think the amount is totally a personal thing. Youíll know more after the first trip. I would add some nuts. I like salted cashews myself. Nuts are calorie dense, which is good for energy and itís nice to have extra calories around for a survival situation. If youíre hiking you can take them with you. I bring jerky and nuts while on the move.

For the boxers, youíre on the right track. You will sweat. Especially on base layers next to the skin I think itís important to stay away from cotton. Iím a big fan of the boxer brief myself for hiking around. I played around with some other brands and they were good. One day I spent more on a pair of underwear that I ever thought was possible. $25. After trying the ExOfficio Boxer Briefs I will never wear anything else. They are excellent! They are quick-drying, anti-chaffing, keep you fresh for multiple days if you want to push it, and can be washed in water, wrung out and air dried in several hours. Then youíre good to go.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

https://kifaru.net/stoves.html

The stove is a wood stove built for the Kifaru tipi's and tarp tents. The smallest weighs 2.5lbs and has room on top to boil 2 pots at the same time. I thought having a way to warm the shelter and dry gear would be really nice. It has a little weight, but most cooking systems and fuel would be 1-1.5lbs so it's not that bad.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post

https://kifaru.net/stoves.html

The stove is a wood stove built for the Kifaru tipi's and tarp tents. The smallest weighs 2.5lbs and has room on top to boil 2 pots at the same time. I thought having a way to warm the shelter and dry gear would be really nice. It has a little weight, but most cooking systems and fuel would be 1-1.5lbs so it's not that bad.

The parastove is really a one pot stove unless your pots are the size of tunafish cans. I can fit my MSR Titan Teakettle and a can of soup, but that's about it. Wouldn't be room for 2 Teakettles. Great little stove, though.

I've got the parastove, the small and medium Kifaru stoves and they are great. In terms of keeping you on top of your game day after day of hunting in colder/wettish/snow conditions, having a stove can make the hunt.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 PM

Hi:

Just read your list and the many replies. I plan to review your list in more detail, but wanted to pass along......I'd be happy to send you Tyvek to replace your floor choice.

I am by no means an expert, but have been working on lighter and lighter high quality gear as the years pass. I do Idaho archery and finally made the move from short overnights to hunting with camp on back. The biggest problem is finding someone that wants to do the same.

For this year I am thinking(purchased, but have to test first) of using a tarp and hammock set-up.

I bought a tarp(12 oz) and a hammock(7 oz). Now I have heard that the bottom gets cold, so I might have to carry a pad(closed cell about 14 oz, or self inflating rei 1.5(about 24 oz(I think). I'm also considering using an ultralight sleeping bag to attach under the hammock.

Hennessey Hammock makes systems and I plan to look into those also.

Personally, I think you are carrying too much weight, especially if you are hunting with camp on back.

I have a Marmot Helium EQ(waterproof) in 15 degree, which is too warm in September, but is waterproof on it's own.

Good Luck!

Casey Albert