Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Advice on backpack hunt gear list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 09:30 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Advice on backpack hunt gear list

Great stuff, jmden. Thanks for the research and post.
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

This is another new addition to the Thermarest line that just came out mid last year. It is only filled with air, but has heat reflective technology to give it an R value of 4.9 and at only 19 ounces! That's enough R value for year around use for most people and it is very comfortable:

Neo Air All Season:

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir All Season Sleeping Pad - Free Shipping at REI.com

I'll be picking this up for hunting this year, but will get it soon here as we need it for a family backpacking trip down into the Grand Canyon in April.

Right before it came out I purchased its immediate predacessor which weighs and feels exactly the same but has a much lower R value of 2.0--OK for summer/early fall stuff although I used it alone this year on a November and December elk hunts with temps down into the low teens:

Neo Air Trekker:

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Trekker Sleeping Pad - Free Shipping at REI.com

With temps that low, though, I was using a -30F rated Feathered Friends bag of mine and would've been toasty warm almost no matter what.

I used this pad quite a bit throughout the summer and fall on ocean kayaking trips and backpack hunting and I can't tell you how comfortable it is to me. I actually think it's at least as comfortable as our mattress at home. The first time I blew it up, I was inadvertently and comfortably asleep in 5 minutes, with no intent to do so.

The predecessor to the Neo Air Trekker is the NeoAir:

THERM-A-REST NeoAir Sleeping Pad, Regular - Eastern Mountain Sports

It's lighter at 14 oz. and comfortable, BUT the material is very thin and VERY crinkly which results in it being very loud to sleep on if there is any movement. And, there have been many reports of punctures due in part to the very thin material. If you take care of it carefully and don't mind how loud it is, 14 oz. is pretty light for a comfortable nights sleep.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

This was mentioned on another thread started by Tikkamike a few days ago, but I thought I might mention it here as well as folks checking out this thread might benefit from this emergency bivvy if they haven't seen it:

SOL Emergency Bivvy

It really is half the size of a soup can. No kidding. At 3.8 oz and $13 in the link above and as small as it is, it's probably a reasonable thing to pack if you don't always have your tent/bivvy and sleeping bag with you when you hunt.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Here's another hyperlight 1 man tent I just found. 2lbs. 1 oz. total weight.

Apparently due to be released at any point now:

Easton Mountain Products

It's good to see a 30 denier silnylon PU coated floor to 2500mm water column. Some of these hyperlight designs compromise in how watertight the floor material is. I tend to think that 2500mm is about as low as floor material should be and I really wouldn't want to go with any smaller nylon fibers for a floor than what is in 30 denier nylon either. You don't want a stream running through your tent and the floor needs to have some abrasion resistance.

Easton Mountain Products is part of Easton, the folks that make Easton arrows that many of us are familiar with. They are using some of their carbon arrow technology in the single pole this shelter incorporates and that is one area they are able to shave weight to produce this very lightweight shelter.

Side entrance is a big plus over end entrance as well--only have to do that once to realize why.
Here's an Easton Mountain Products video (HD on Vimeo) on the Kilo 1P:

Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Bronze Member

I just replaced my Kifaru med stove with a T I 16 " from here Wix.com Edtbackcountryskillcamp created by Dtpatrick0706 based on Business Solutions it weighs a bit over 2 lbs and heats up my 6 man tipi to t shirt temps easily
Tim
Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Another lightweight 1P to look at is the MSR Carbon Reflex 1:

MSRŪ Carbon Reflex™ 1P Ultralight solo Backpacking Tent

It does weigh 3 lb. 3 oz total weight, but:

1) the solid tent body walls go a bit higher than most of these lightweight designs and that will help tremendously if you get in a situation with any blowing sand or snow as the fly overlaps these solid body panels substantially more than some other lightweight designs, the Big Anges Fly Creek one being an exception here.

2) the floor is made of a heavier 40 denier nylon which will take a little more abuse than the lighter 20 and 30 denier floors found in the other shelters

3) the floor has a 3000mm hydrostatic head (height of water column exerting pressure straight down before some amount of water will seep throug the material) watertight rated coating--the other three UL 1P shelters I mentioned above have ratings of 1200, 1200 and 2500mm hydrostatic head. 800mm is equivalent to 1 psi. If a 200lb person puts all or most of their weight on 1 knee on these floors with moisture underneath the floor, you'll exceed any of these floor's ability to keep water out. But 3000mm is much better than 1200mm.

4) it has a side door entry and good sized vestibule.

Might be the way to go, but for the extra weight...

Old 01-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Washington View Post
I just replaced my Kifaru med stove with a T I 16 " from here Wix.com Edtbackcountryskillcamp created by Dtpatrick0706 based on Business Solutions it weighs a bit over 2 lbs and heats up my 6 man tipi to t shirt temps easily
Tim
Sounds like you think it puts out more heat for the size/weight, right?