Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Advice on backpack hunt gear list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Advice on backpack hunt gear list

Thanks for the input, it is well said,

a bad shoelace can spoil a good walk, being up to date on the gear makes a big difference.

What high end products do you reccommend?

Myself this time next year I will be in Alaska, for that matter within 3 mos I will be.

" a well- armed citizenry is the first defense against tryany". Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

CLOTHING-sitka or kuiu are the top of the heap. I am leaning toward kuiu now because the quality is just as good and the prices are a little more reasonable. On the other hand, they do not have the selection sitka does.

BOOTS-lowa, hanwag, kenetrek and crispi are all equally good. All depends on fit. Each one has a unique fit but all are superior to danner and the like. All will run upwards of $300

PACKS-This is where the money gets crazy. My personal preferance is kifaru. My kifaru timberline T2 is 5400ci. with the multicam pattern, grab-it and xtl lid it cost me $796. However, this pack will carry more weight with more comfort than any other pack on the market. My next choice would be mystery ranch. These packs are bullet proof as well. The only drawback is that The load lifter angle on the MR packs makes them more of a load stabilizer than a lifter. In my opinion, the Timberline line from kifaru is the ultimate bivy hunting pack on the market.

MISC GEAR-Go to REI and ask for help. Their staff is the best and their warranty can't be beat. All of their products are good quality as well.

I see a lot of hunters spend top money on their bows or rifles and then skimp on everything else. Getting to where the animals are comes first and sub-par gear will make that part harder.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Bronze Member

Great list,

for very cold I love my Steeger Mukluks, not bad priced, under $200 with extra liners and inner soles, good for -20F and more depending on how many and types of socks on.

" a well- armed citizenry is the first defense against tryany". Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

one thing my lists will not include is cold weather gear. when I say cold I mean sub 20 degree weather constantly. I am mainly an archery hunter which puts me out in september. I rifle hunt for mule deer every other year and the temps occasionally dip to freezing but not that often. My knowledge of cold weather gear is very limited
Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

An item I ran across recently is the new Nemo Obi Elite 1P one man tent that weighs only 2 lbs. 7 oz. and is 6 x 6 inches when packed in it's waterproof quasi-compression stuffsack: NEMO: Tents including camping and mountaineering tents from NEMO

I'll be checking this out more carefully in the near future, but as far as I can tell, it's the lightest 3 season, 1 man tent on the market and it's floor is 39" wide! And, it has a 9 sq. ft. vestibule--so there's plenty of room in the tent for you and a long, long range rifle and room in the vestibule for your pack.

That's huge for one man and makes it even more amazing to be as light as it is. Check out other manufactures one man tents and you won't see too many that even approach this weight, especially at this size. Now, is uses alot of 10 denier and 20 denier PU coated nylon to be as light as it is and this definietly makes it a bit more fragile than some other designs that use tougher, but heavier fabric. But, this seems like a great product for the solo backpack wilderness hunter in late spring/summer/fall.

I hope to be using it on my solo wilderness deer and bear hunts in late summer/early fall this year.

I've got a Nemo Gogo bivvy (anyone want to buy it?--it's only been slept in 2x) but doesn't have the room to store gear. I'd much rather wait out a storm in a one man tent than bivvy. If you've waited out a storm in a bivvy, you know what I mean.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Fly Creek UL 1 Tent - 1 Person

Here's another even lighter one (and less money)--somehow I'd missed this one in looking around a the last few days.

Here is is for cheaper: http://www.gearforadventure.com/Prod...eekUL1&click=2

Here's a new Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum that is a small 2 person tent with a 2lb. 3 oz. total packed weight. Same weight as the ultra-lightweight one person tent above. They are pretty proud of it at $500, but less weight equals more fun to a point!

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...Creek2Platinum

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 01-18-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Here's another hyperlight 1 man tent I just found. 2lbs. 1 oz. total weight.

Apparently due to be released at any point now:

Easton Mountain Products

It's good to see a 30 denier silnylon PU coated floor to 2500mm water column. Some of these hyperlight designs compromise in how watertight the floor material is. I tend to think that 2500mm is about as low as floor material should be and I really wouldn't want to go with any smaller nylon fibers for a floor than what is in 30 denier nylon either. You don't want a stream running through your tent and the floor needs to have some abrasion resistance.

Easton Mountain Products is part of Easton, the folks that make Easton arrows that many of us are familiar with. They are using some of their carbon arrow technology in the single pole this shelter incorporates and that is one area they are able to shave weight to produce this very lightweight shelter.

Side entrance is a big plus over end entrance as well--only have to do that once to realize why.