Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

3 a day & 5 on Sunday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

CSPSgt,

Great post! Heck, even I can do that! The hills behind the house are sand dunes. Do they count?;)
Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member

The Six Minute Hill results in an hour a day being spent exercising. A lot of people are too lazy to exercise an hour a day.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Sheehan wrote a very good book on running after you get older. What he found is that the body recuperates slower so you need more rest days. While is is not possible to maintain the speed you once had, you can still be very fast. But you must be more careful with minor twitches and pain so it does not develop into an injury requiring a lot of recuperation. Speed days must be followed by rest days and long days must be followed by rest days. Mostly I just find that the days it rains and the days I go hunting and the days when I am just too busy seem to work out pretty well as rest days, of course I no longer race. Racing is a very time consuming and deliberative hobby.

Sports medicine is about 50% Voodoo, 25% witchcraft and 25% paid for by Gatoraid and the sports drink industry. Nonetheless, the current thinking is that for the older athelete that stretching is better done after exercise than before. The tendons and ligaments are warmed up and more responsive and less likely to tear. This is great for me because I always had trouble with a few particular tendons and several times I stretched myself into injuries. It is more important to the older athelete because all the joints get stiff and stride length is reduced. For hunting on uneven terrain with the many slips and oops-a-daiseys that occur, flexible joints help a lot in preventing a muscle or tendon tear. After logging thousand of miles running, I pretty much know which tendons in which place will stress first. Asprin, Ibuprohin, Tylenol will reduce inflammation. Inflammation is fluid inside the sheath and if you continue to exercise then you may rupture the sheath. It is important to get the inflammation down. Heat helps healing and wearing a sock at night for a bad foot tendon or something to keep the inflammed area warm will speed up blood flow to the area and speed healing.

Old injuries have scar tissue which is not flexible and likes to tear and it is something you have to be careful with it. You should know your old injures and how to deal with them.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

I don't run enough but I have found that I can run more/faster with weight training. Not heavy weights but just regular weight training. I try to mix it up. A few years ago when I was grossly over weight, I decided to get back into shape I talked to a spa director who was at that time a world class fitness aerobics person/physical trainer, she told me the only way to keep tendons and ligaments working at my age was hydration and weight training worked into my running routine. She is now the Spa director at Greenbriar I believe( she knows her sh*t). I use the weights more as a stretching tool than a muscle building tool. I outwalked my 30 something guide last year in MT.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

B-Bob - to get more from a treadmill, try going two minutes forward, face right and do two minutes side-stepping, face to the rear and walk/jog backwards for two minutes, then face to the other side and side-step for two more minutes...

After that, when ya get to face forward again, you'll be glad to be facing forward, and about ready to do it all over again. A couple of rounds of that stuff will work the muscles and tendons in different directions. Had to do that a while ago for some achilles tendon rehab, and it helped. I still do it.

During the winter I cross-country ski for exercise, but can only get out to the ski trails once or twice a week, so I substitute weight lifting, the treadmill, the elliptical trainer and a stationary bike a few times during the week.

It's like what they said about "virtue" - being in shape is it's own reward! Besides, it makes hunting the backcountry easier.

Regards, Guy
Old 01-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know much about weight training, except for endurance type lifting which is low weight high reps. I will say that the low weight stuff did a good job of rehabbing my shoulder that had been hurt by a fall. Basically, I just have a simple routine with weights that is designed to allow me to hold a bow at full draw for two minutes and still be able to get a good release.

A treadmill as a back up device or a rehab device is fine but nothing can take the place of a varied training routine and varied terrain. I run a course that has some very steep downhills and some very steep uphills. If you can go jogging one day and biking another and swimming or skiing or hiking another and just keep everything moving around that is ideal. The big drawbacks to jogging are high impact and lightweight flexible shoes. When you switch from jogging shoes to heavy insulated stiff hunting boots certain muscles in your lower legs will really complain.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member

just read the 6 minute workout, it's what i do only about once a week. i do some push-ups and chin-ups on other days. the other maybe 3 days in the week i put the backpack/ boots on and walk in the woods. i wear the backpack when hiking all summer as it keeps the bugs from bitting the living crap out of my back!