Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

3 a day & 5 on Sunday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

3 a day & 5 on Sunday

The old joints complain that's for sure. Three miles a day and five on Sunday is 22 miles a week. The minimum for running a marathon is believed to be 35 miles a week. I mean running, not this walking the last five miles lazy sh*t that some people do.

Its cold outside and I do not like the cold but I use gloves and a head band for my ears.

I used to use a stop watch and time my runs but now I am so slow that the old ladies with the walkers pass me on the uphill sections.

I hate lifting weights but that is about the only way I will get my bowshooting muscles back.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

up here in Pa we'd call that 23 but i know you're a math guy so there's probably an explanation for it. i wish i could still run. i have to hike all over the place to stay in shape.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

You got me. That is so funny.
I used to keep a daily log of all of my mileages when I was running marathons.

Now I just trudge out there an make the rounds. I have my weekly goal and it is flexible according to my hunting schedule and rain. The only thing I hate worse than rain is snow.

My goal this year is to run two 10K road races. Last year when I came back from elk hunting I didn't start back to jogging until March and that is too late for for the tendons to respond well. The tendons strenghten only half as fast as muscles and you can really abuse them by training too hard. Naturally I try not to train too hard.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

my goals may be a bit different this year as it looks like i'm gonna get that elk tag for Wy. so instead of being in fairly good shape, i want to be in very good shape. my knees are my limiting factor and i have to be able to climb from 8-10k with my long range stuff. i'm gonna try the bike more this year until fall. then i'll hike/climb with the backpack more often. i plan on being 20 lbs less than i am now.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
m i want to be in very good shape. my knees are my limiting factor i'm gonna try the bike more this year until fall. then i'll hike/climb with the backpack more often. i plan on being 20 lbs less than i am now.
Dave,

I did the tread mill thing plus the bicycle thing but only half hearted. It took me two weeks to get into shape during the hunt which is not a good thing.

What I'd recommend trying, if its available is one of those commercial tread mills, usually at a physical therapy place that elevates up to 35 degrees. I've built a riser for my tread mill which sure helps a bunch but the $3 bucks a day once in a while at the PT place helps also.

That thing simulates a good mountain hike as close as I've found. The treat mill and bike do the cardio/vascular thing pretty well but when dropping 20 lbs some extra effort is going to be needed to build muscle.

My other problem is that I detest side hilling so I tend to walk straight up the hill, as much as I can. My steps are not much more than heel to toe at times.

But hey, you have a bunch of years on me.

Good luck on the Wyoming hunt.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Treadmills are pretty worthless devices for what has to be done. Relying on a treadmill for training will lead to injury once out in the real world because only one set of muscles will be strenghtened and they will tear the other muscles once varied terrain is encountered.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Bronze Member

Here is a link for one way to do it or the one below.

http://www.wildsheep.org/pdf/six_minute_hill.pdf

I didn't have a big enough hill here in the flat county to do it every night so I just drove to the mountains every weekend for two and a half months. We saw 30 moose, 4 bear, 2 nice bulls, 5 deer and 3 small rams. Best shape I've been in for hunting in a long time. During the month of September I walked over 75 miles between 10,500 and 12,500 feet. Ran into a bunch of ewes and lambs but the big guys stayed in Rocky Mountain National Park. I knew that was a possibility go in. So as my hunting buddy for the last 40 years says "Sheep hunting is the best way to get into shape for Antelope hunting." Another buck down and she did keep up with me since she had been my sheep spotter for half those 75 miles. Also, my son and I didn't see the ones we were looking for but it made elk hunting along the continental divide a breeze. Nothing beats up and down the rocky terrain to get all the big and little muscles going.