Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

.22LR pistols for pack in side arm opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: .22LR pistols for pack in side arm opinions?

S&W 617, 6". Heavy-so if weights an issue the Ruger Single Sixes are tough to beat or their semi-auto's as has been mentioned.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Funny thing, I was just out in the woods on Sunday and in a quandry as to what to put in my pocket, I have lots of choices....

I settled on my Kimber Custom Crimson Carry in a Bianchi holster with a Kim Pro magazine and 8 Winchester round nose 45 autos.

IMO, a Kimber or Wilson (so long as you have steel hinges on your wallet) are the best 1911's made....... of course neither like sloppy reloads because both have tight shambers so it's full length resize of factory stuff.

I like both because if a round is chambered, the hammer stays in a half cocked position so you have a visible reference (besides the chamber notch) to ascertain, if, you have one to go......

I'm a good scout so I'm always prepared.

The Kimber also has an acessory .22LR slide that changes out in about 30 seconds and it shoots just as well as the 45 slide does.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
There is no better trap line grouse getter than the good old Ruger single six, never go to the field with out mine. Killed a pile of lions with one as well!
That's second best.
My Colt Frontier Scout .22lr revolver is smoother, & shoots just as good as my dads, & buddies Ruger Single Sixes do.

But if I were buying brand new, then ya, Single Six all the way.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

Just as a quick note, the .22 conversion doesn't fit on the 3" commander. Other than that I love my kimber!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:12 AM

I'd go look for a Ruger SP101 .357 as has already been stated. Its a great wheel gun that will not fail you. Check out GunBroker as there are a few listed now in the 350 - 400 range used which isn't bad. I just bought another spurless SP101 .357 with 2 1/4 barrel and it great for a woods gun or even CC if you do that. Add a 20.00 Hogue grip and a HKS Speedloader (Model 36-A) and your set. Use full .357s or .38 special rounds. I prefer the spurless DOA myself however its a choice and for your use it wouldn't matter.

My revolver of choice as a sidearm in the wood regardless of hunting, hiking or camping is my Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull. It's overkill and costly to learn to handle correctly but it's whats almost always on my side in the woods. I've been on trail from down in Georgia up through northern Ontario and its nice to have something that fends off both 2 and 4 legged animals when needed. With practice its also a decent close hunting handgun.. whatever you hit will drop. Might drop out of fear just from the Alaskan's report too lol.

I hate bashing any manufacturer however my experience with Taurus wasn't great and most people I know who are into firearms tend to have had the same "bad luck". I'd never own another one unless it was given to me for free.. even then I'd likely sell it to someone I didn't know. Taurus simply has too great of an online return history coupled with my own history with them for me to trust one again.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

I carry a Browning Buckmark with one extra for my day trips. Functions well not to heavy and easy to pack. Shoots well also !
Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Silver Member

I carry a S&W model 60 pro series in 357. It is pretty light, real compact, and scary accurate. The match grade barrel, great feel, and good factory trigger are probably responsible for that. It gives me hunting accuracy in a 3" barrel though. I had a Ruger SP101 and replaced it with this gun. I have a single 6 and have had many other Ruger handguns over the years and all have been real functional and tough but not always the most ergonomic. I think S&W makes the 60 in 22 also.