Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLA View Post
338 mike,

I see those tents are made out of poly. Be very careful, It could go up like a candle.

Ryan

Noted, but treated to CAPI-84 fire retardant standards. More or less like your sleeping bag. Spark arrestor is ordered as well. My main conceren is the pole. I've got some ideas to strengthen it.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Bronze Member

Dave,

Which Wyoming lost and found tent are you talking about? My friend has there ripstop 8 man tipi, made out of nylon. Its seems to be built very well. I am not a fan of poly tents so I can't comment on them.

Ryan
Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

not sure, want a teepee style, thinking about the 5 man. would like a bottom though. planning a backpack elk hunt in the uintas this fall. second week of october, should have a 4 season.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

Seekoutside offers a separate bathtub style floor that can be used inside a floorless shelter. I got one to try in my Kifaru Paratarp but the paratarp was to small to really appreciate it. My hunting partner and I are looking to also get the sawtooth or 4 man from Kifaru and I'll likely use it there. To me that would be really nice, the condensation can run off into the ground but you still have a waterproof layer under your sleeping set-up. Also muddy boots aren't a problem like a full floor.

I set up my Paratarp with the bathtub floor to catch any leaks so I could spot them a couple weeks ago to test it out. The weatherman was calling for a slow 3 day rain. It stayed dry under it throughout the whole storm except a few drops under the seam on the tarp. The rain soaking into the ground made it damp about 4" in from the sides under the floor. My floor was set up about 2" in from the sides and stayed dry so the 4" of damp ground all soaked in from ground moisture underneath and wasn't due to a leak.. I e-mailed Kifaru and got a tube of seam sealer a couple days later. I also ordered an annex and a stove pipe for the parastove I picked up on a forum. I'll get a chance to use it fishing this spring and summer alot and will update on how it works. If I like this set-up well enough we will go with the larger sawtooth or 4 man and either get another stove pipe for my little parastove or get a small stove also for the bigger shelter. The paratarp rides in my daypack for shorter hunts for un-planned overnight stays or bad weather, and I want to use it on some scouting and fishing trips.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Bronze Member

mcseal2,
I have been thinking about that very setup. Even with a stove its a light weight 4 season camp. On Rokslide.com they are giving away a Kifaru paratarp for best pic. Its the cheapest way to get Kifaru gear

Ryan
Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

I set up my budget Appy Trails 2-Man (advertised as 5-Man) Backcountry Tent before I sent it to the Tent Maker for mods. Stove jack is in & stove ordered (shipping is slow). It might mess up hunting as I linger in the mornings with my robe, slippers, cocoa, pipe and newspaper!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?-snapshot-2012-02-27-19-46-46.jpg   Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?-snapshot-2012-02-27-19-48-44.jpg  

Last edited by Mike 338; 02-27-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

Interesting project Mike,let us know how it works out
Tim