Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Gold Member

Re: Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Washington View Post
If yo have any thoughts of putting a stove jack in that tent I would suggest testing it really well in high winds and with a snow load if possible.A tent collapse with a hot stove and a cherry red pipe could be catastrophic and life threatening in the back country
Tim
10-4 on that!

Since I'm having the stove jack sewn in, I'll also be adding guy line attachments, clothesline loops, extra grommets for staking and better stakes. Maybe even a zipper. Like most of these hair brained ideas of mine, I could have probably saved 35% if I had just bought the original product. Still, I saw enough of a price differential to take a run at it.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Bronze Member

It's critical to have a pole that's good and strong as well,When there is a strong wind blowing there is quite a bit of pressure to push /bend the pole down and pull the stakes out
Tim
Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Washington View Post
It's critical to have a pole that's good and strong as well,When there is a strong wind blowing there is quite a bit of pressure to push /bend the pole down and pull the stakes out
Tim
Hmmmmm

I've read where that pole bends quite a bit in high winds. Somehow I see duct tape in my future! I ordered up a medium stove that can double as a heat source for a 8-man if I decide these tipi's are the way to go.

The problem with heavy snows is I sleep like a baby through them.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

I've been building tipi tents designed for woodburning stoves for a number of years. They are a great combination of fairly lightweight, spacious, able to stand up in and warm shelters due to the stove. But, they require great care and understanding of what is going on. There is little room for error in a tent of this type with a stove in it. Just approach this very critically, carefully and methodically.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Last edited by jmden; 02-16-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
I've been building tipi tents designed for woodburning stoves for a number of years. They are a great combination of fairly lightweight, spacious, able to stand up in and warm shelters due to the stove. But, they require great care and understanding of what is going on. There is little room for error in a tent of this type with a stove in it. Just approach this very critically, carefully and methodically.
A quote from your site:

"Stoves are HOT and DANGEROUS and have SHARP edges. Very serious injury and/or death and property damage can occur. WildSide Systems absolutely takes NO responsibility for injury, death or property damage. Common sense says never leave any fire unattended (or be sleeping with the fire going unattended), so, DO NOT leave these stoves unattended. These tent/stove combinations require highly responsible, aware and alert adults for safe operaton AT ALL TIMES. Absolutely no drugs/alcohol should be used when using these shelters/stoves. Keep children and pets away from hot stoves at all times and always be careful around stoves at all times as stove edges are also very sharp. Stoves require great care in set up, installation into tent and take down--this is clearly a responsible, aware, alert adult activity only. If you have ANY questions whatsoever, STOP and contact WildSides Systems for information. Have fun and be safe."

Thank you for the reminder.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Bronze Member

338 mike,

I see those tents are made out of poly. Be very careful, It could go up like a candle.

Ryan
Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

i'm looking into getting a tent that i can use to backpack with. does anyone know about these Wyoming lost and found tents? they seem to be made just for the backcountry. don't think anyone mentioned them, thought i'd ask.