Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?

During a hard rain it may be wet 4"-5" from the outside edge,I almost always end up pitching over wet grass once you get the stove going it dries out fast.The liner is worth while in my area.I've not ever camped on a real recent burn,usually a couple of years old so the dust has not been a problem. Two advantages of a wood stove are that you can use them during a burn ban and that you don't get the smoke in you're face
Tim
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Bronze Member

I was very skeptical about the no floor twice the price tipi. But after two year of hunting Northern Idaho's and Montana's backcountry. I am there biggest fan! I have pitched it over every type of terrain. I carry a small piece of tyvex, sometimes I need it sometimes I don't. I use the small stove for the supertarp and the 8 man. It does the job, if you keep on feeding it. The biggest plus is when I am 4+ miles from the road and I am warm and dry.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLA View Post
I was very skeptical about the no floor twice the price tipi. But after two year of hunting Northern Idaho's and Montana's backcountry. I am there biggest fan! I have pitched it over every type of terrain. I carry a small piece of tyvex, sometimes I need it sometimes I don't. I use the small stove for the supertarp and the 8 man. It does the job, if you keep on feeding it. The biggest plus is when I am 4+ miles from the road and I am warm and dry.
Another vote for the tipi. May I ask what brand/brands you use? Regarding the 8-Man, how many people + gear go well in it? Couldn't possibly be 8!
Old 02-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Bronze Member

Mike 338,

The 8 man can fit four no problem. But I like it with 3 and all are gear. I have a couple different brands of tipis and I like the kifaru. The biggest factor is durability. I have ripped the other two tipis. Never had that problem with the kifaru and no I have no ties to kifaru, just like there product!

Ryan
Old 02-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLA View Post
Mike 338,

The 8 man can fit four no problem. But I like it with 3 and all are gear. I have a couple different brands of tipis and I like the kifaru. The biggest factor is durability. I have ripped the other two tipis. Never had that problem with the kifaru and no I have no ties to kifaru, just like there product!

Ryan

Good to know re: durability. Just ordered a Appy Trails 5 man tent. It's probably good for about 2 people but very inexpensive. It doesn't look like it would hold up to windy conditions but should work for a one man, mild weather option for scouting trips. I can put a stove jack in it and see how I like a pyramid style tent. I'm using mules now so a larger tent isn't to much of a problem. Now that the wolves have killed all the game, I'll probably be spending more time at camp anyway!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

Mike 338,

I don't like that style for one reason snow! Don't know anything about the company, but it kind of looks like a sawtooth. The price looks dam good. Post back on how it holds up.

Ryan
Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Bronze Member

If yo have any thoughts of putting a stove jack in that tent I would suggest testing it really well in high winds and with a snow load if possible.A tent collapse with a hot stove and a cherry red pipe could be catastrophic and life threatening in the back country
Tim