Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Which 1-2p tent for backpacking in alpine environment?

You should check out Kifaru and Seekoutside they both sell floorless,heatable,lightweight,4 season shelters with alot of diff. size options
Tim
Old 11-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks all for the advices!

I've decided to skip the two person tent, and go for a Hilleberg Akto. I want a double wall construction with innertent. That model has proven itself over and over again in alpine environment. Pretty light to!
Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

Great choice!!! The Akto should serve you quite well. I've looked at 'em a hundred times - though ending up using something different.

Last time i bought a smaller, lite-weight shelter I chose a Henry Shires TarpTent Cloudburst II. It's excellent quality as well as nice and light, but lacks the 'structure' i prefer (and what i believe the Akto would have).

I'm not in a place of needing to buy another shelter (especially just a single sleeper), but if i was the Akto would be on it's way.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 AM

I would go with the Hilleberg. Nammatj 2GT or Nallo 2GT. You can sleep in the tent and put ALL your gear in the vestibule leaving things cozy inside the tent. Spendy but worth it. As far as weight to strength ratio, they are hard to beat for an alpine tent. Only downside is they are not free standing. Its a minor detail I can do without.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

hilleberg akto is at the top of the heap for backpack hunters in rough weather. The MSR hubba or hubba hubba are a close second.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotelite View Post
hilleberg akto is at the top of the heap for backpack hunters in rough weather. The MSR hubba or hubba hubba are a close second.
For 3 season use, check out the Nemo Obi Elite 1P. 2 lb. 7 ounces, 1lb. 15 ounces min. weight.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Bronze Member

Suprised nobody has mentioned Black Diamond. They bought out Bibler and make excellent shelters.

The Firstlight and Hilight are 3 season two person freestanding tents that weigh only about 3lbs or less and are very compact. They are small but about the lightest free standing tents around.

I use the Betalight and Megalight. The Mega light sleeps up to four and weighs only 2.5 lbs and pitches with a single carbon fiber pole. If you add the bathtub floor you get a massive shelter with tons of headroom for about 4.5lbs. The Megalight is 1.5 lbs and I made a one pound floor. 2.5 pounds and it will fit two people plus two packs.

Four the four season tents I like the Eldorado or I-Tent. These are standard issue for alpine climbing. The are single wall and BOMBER. They never accumulate condensation on the inside. Best part is they weigh less than 5lbs.

I have no experience with Hilleberg but I know they are highly regarded.

Just my .02