Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Outfitters - Long Range Friendly > Alaskan Game

I need some Alaska advice from residents

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: I need some Alaska advice from residents

If you are interested send me a PM. I can tell you a book that can make your DIY hunt much easier. As many have said above there are a lot of variables and logistitcal issues with Alaskan hunting but a DIY hunt done properly can be one of the most rewarding hunts you can do even when not successful.

I am a Texan and have had much success with DIY hunts in AK. There are avenues to use that will help you find a location, equiptment, etc. I have book that can simplify a lot of this for you. I did my first AK DIY hunt out of necessity by that I mean $$$$. IMO a guided AK moose hunt is the most overpriced hunt a person can pay hard earned money for in North America.......I see some outfitters are up in the $16-18K range now, which is baffling to me. It can be done for pennies compared to that and also with much more satisfaction.......IF YOU are patient, physically able and up for adventure. It is not easy and not for everyone that is for certain.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Silver Member

I am a 20 year US military retiree and in most of the states I was stationed in, that state allowed me to hunt as a resident. Something to do with the soldiers and sailors relief act. and or they just extended me the courtesy to hunt as a resident.
Now I have never hunted Alaska but I can tell you from my inquires and reading that hunting up there is a whole new ball of wax. It is remote, rugged, with extremes in weather that changes at a whim. Alaska has more reported missing people in a year than all other states combined. People go off in the bush and are never ever heard from again. Getting lost, frozen, eaten, what ever, is a very real possibility up there. GET A GUIDE AND BE SAFE. I can not stress this enough. You can get turned around up there real easy in the bush. I retired in Norther B.C. Canada which is a lot like Alaska and when I hunt I always go with a local that knows the area we will be going into and I always carry a GPS. I am not saying that it can't be done as the previous poster was successful in his hunt. Some of us are more knowledgeable in bush craft than others and if you are experienced in the outdoors and know your limitations and are prepared then go for it.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

And be sure to buy a 'SPOT' that has a 911/ SOS button to call EMS......from any where you can see the SKY. Got mine 2008 for SOLO ELK hunts in CO wilderness.

SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger

Good luck, been there done that before the pipeline.