Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Shotguns And Shotgunning (NOT Slugs)

need opinions on shotguns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Bronze Member

Re: need opinions on shotguns.

Personally I like the Beretta gas guns better than the Benelli recoil guns. I have over 10,000 rounds though my 391 without any problems and I only clean that gun once a year after clays season is done.

Pumps the Benelli has a great gun and the Browning BPS is also a great pump.

You could always look around and find a well care fored wingmaster, it is sure hard to beat the older ones.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

Pump- go with a Nova

Semi- Benelli or get a Beretta 3901/390/391 if you can't afford a Benelli. Our group have either one or the other and have yet to see issues with any of them.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

over the years I've had to repair ALL of the major brands, some more than others
We call auto's "autojammers" for a reason, that being said, my personal goose shooter is the original mfg. (pre 2002) Browning Gold hunter 3.5" after you figure out how to make it run, it's great, IF you don't have to order parts from Browning ! there parts dept. sucks, but Brownells is good. I had a shell blow up this year,
(new factory load) broke the cart. cut off and lost the spring. PITA to get the RIGHT one from Browning, but Brownells had it, knew what i needed from serial # (browning could NOT figure that out) I don't fault the gun for the problem. and a minor job to repair. Runs all the time if you keep it clean.

as far as pump guns go, have had to repair ALL of those listed, except older rem. 870 wingmaster.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 PM

I have owned remington shotguns for 46 years got my first when i was 10 got a 1100 12g i have had for 33y never don nothing but kept cleaned and a o ring ever now and then and it been put through the ringer by the boys and me and a LT lightweight 1100 3in 20 had since 78 same thing no trouble at all. my son still uses his 870 youth model 3in when we take the squirrel dogs out. also have a Benelli super black eagle. and a 1187 not used the 1187 much but so far doing great. the Benelli is a great gun got no complaints.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

As far as pumps go, I am a huge fan of the old 870's, whatever happened to their quality control? Anyway, I got a new Benelli Super Nova a couple of years ago, and it has been a rock solid performer for me. I have no complaints about it whatsoever.

For the autoloaders I love the Beretta's. Between my dad, brother, and I we have had about every semi-auto shotgun they have ever made and have shot thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds through them. We have never had to do anything to any of them except clean them. Good luck with whatever you go with!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

My favorite auto is the Baretta A391. Have one in 20 gauge, and shoots like a dream come true.
gary
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM

I've personally owned Beretta 303 and the 390. Great shooters, smooth cycling, low recoil. I've always been told any 12 ga. gas operated semi needs to use shells with at least 1-1/8 oz. shot to cycle flawlessly. At a starting price of $650, the Beretta A300 would have my attention. Dick's offers discounts on that model.

Benelli's are terrific guns as well for a bit mo money, perhaps a bit mo kick.