Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Shotguns And Shotgunning (NOT Slugs)

Long Range Shotgun for Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Long Range Shotgun for Coyotes

I did some more testing today with the 3.5" DC T and a full choke that measured .705" with my calipers. This was the factory Invector Plus full that came with my Maxus. Patterns were a bit wider at 20yds (which I wanted) and at 45 yards I got 19, then 22 shot in a 12" circle with the DC choke I only got 17 so I considered a 5 shot gain at that distance to be pretty good. The pattern with the .705" was much more uniform. Another thing I noticed is that with this choke I could hold dead on but with my DC choke I had to hold low left. As of now I'm going to use the full choke until I can test something that is close to the .680" Bowhunter57 suggested.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

WV Sendero,
Since you're shooting a 3.5" chamber, I'd definately recommend that phone call to Carlson's. Most of the 3.5" chamberings are backbored...meaning, there's more room in and just past the chamber section of the barrel. This translates into better patterning, provided the choke/shot combinations are appropriate.

The .705" restriction has shown improvement, in both pellet count and uniform patterning. Again, most 3.5" chambered 12 gauge shotguns have a bore size that is slightly larger than the .728" of a standard 12 gauge bore. Having a larger bore allows for less restriction to get tighter patterns.
This may not be true of Browning shotguns, as it is with Mossberg's 835 Ulti-Mag.

Since the .705" is doing good, a .710" might be better. Experience speaks volumes with this sort of thing and Shane Carlson is the man.

Just the same, if you're happy with the way everything is performing as it is, then there may be no need to search any further.

Bowhunter57
Old 01-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter57 View Post
WV Sendero,
Since you're shooting a 3.5" chamber, I'd definately recommend that phone call to Carlson's. Most of the 3.5" chamberings are backbored...meaning, there's more room in and just past the chamber section of the barrel. This translates into better patterning, provided the choke/shot combinations are appropriate.

The .705" restriction has shown improvement, in both pellet count and uniform patterning. Again, most 3.5" chambered 12 gauge shotguns have a bore size that is slightly larger than the .728" of a standard 12 gauge bore. Having a larger bore allows for less restriction to get tighter patterns.
This may not be true of Browning shotguns, as it is with Mossberg's 835 Ulti-Mag.

Since the .705" is doing good, a .710" might be better. Experience speaks volumes with this sort of thing and Shane Carlson is the man.

Just the same, if you're happy with the way everything is performing as it is, then there may be no need to search any further.

Bowhunter57
I'm going to email several choke manufacturers tonight and tell them my situation and see what they recommend and maybe call Carlson's on my next day off. I emailed patternmaster 2 days ago and still have not gotten a reply so they are falling fast on my list of chokes to try. I will continue to post updates on what I find out.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Silver Member

Patternmaster ended up emailing me back and gave me some good information and a recommendation of the Code Black Big Game. I decided to give it a try and got to test it out today. At 25 yards I had 43 in the 12in circle and at 45 yards I had an average of 27 with a best of 31 in the 12in circle. I am pretty happy with that pattern density and it also gave pretty uniform patterns. I had a few shot that flew out away from the main pattern but I don't think you could ever prevent that at 45 yards. This choke was about a .715" and had the wad stripping ridges. It was about a $90 choke but I think it was worth it. At 45 yards and a 12in circle it gave me 9 more shot than the factory full choke, and 14 more shot than the Dead Coyote tube.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

WV Sendero,
I'm glad you found a choke tube that's getting the job done and giving you the performance that you've been looking to attain. Additions like this will greatly boost a coyote hunter's confidence, in the weapon of choice.

Bowhunter57
Old 08-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Gold Member

As the guys here have figured out, finding the right choke tube is more of a black art than science for us gun owners who don't have access to a testing lab.

It's not just the size of the choke, it's the relationship of the choke dia. to the I.D. of the shotgun bore, plus the taper in the choke tube and length of parallel.

Even a couple .001" difference in the bore size will make the choke tube perform differently.

Changing shot size will also change how the choke performs. Usually, larger shot size needs less constriction than smaller shot size.

There's no guarantee that two shotguns, of the same mfg and barrel length will pattern the same with the same load and choke tube. You have to test fire the gun with the load you'll be using at the intended impact distance to verify that the pattern is what you want.