Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Shotguns And Shotgunning (NOT Slugs)

Long Range Shotgun for Coyotes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 08:44 PM

Long Range Shotgun for Coyotes

Is anyone out there using shotguns for coyotes? What shells / choke are you using? Have you patterned it? I noticed that Dead Coyote Hevi Shot is about 3 times what lead costs. Is it worth it? I'm curious if plain ol lead would be just as good.

Thoughts???
Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Long Range Shotgun for Coyotes

motogunner
I asked a similar question a few days back and really didn't get the response or input I thought I might. Noticed you've been waiting since August. Did you break down and buy some, and what were your thoughts? I bought some and then a couple of folks expressed concern about using with a turkey choke. Guess I'll find out the old fashioned way trial and error. Mostly I just saw your message in bottle drifting-and thought maybe you'd like to know somebody's out there. Good Luck
Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogunner View Post
Is anyone out there using shotguns for coyotes? What shells / choke are you using? Have you patterned it? I noticed that Dead Coyote Hevi Shot is about 3 times what lead costs. Is it worth it? I'm curious if plain ol lead would be just as good.

Thoughts???
I have used the Dead Coyote shells in 3 1/2'' and was not impressed.

I tried all of the chokes except the Extra full Turkey because it is not supposed to be used
with anything but lead.

My shotgun did not pattern well with any choke so I tried the #2s and #4 buck and at
60 yards the pattern was uniform and 80 to 90% of the pellets were within the 30''
target.

Find the ammo you want to use and try different chokes to find the best pattern.

I test at 40,50 and 60 yards using a 30'' circle with a 2'' bulls eye.

The shotgun is very effective under 60 yards and beyond that I use a rifle.

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

I use a 870 3-1/2" with the 'Undertaker' choke. I shoot BBB, in a 3-1/2". I've had good luck out to 65 yards, on coyotes. I was using Number 4 buck, till I was on this job in Nebraska, and a Goose hunter told me to try BBB. I bought a box and was impressed, so I bought a case. Done a lot of killing with that round, since.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

They have thirty pages of testing various shot sizes for coyotes here. NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy... - PredatorMasters Forums

Have fun.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Wow! Thanks! I'm impressed I never thought a lot about shotguns being anymore than point and shoot. I appreciate you sharing your results. I do know what that stuff costs, and what your time is worth. This gave me a realistic idea of what to expect.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

motogunner,
There are a lot of variables with shotguns and getting good patterns out of them. If you can find someone with the same brand and barrel length of shotgun that you own, then I would suggest purchasing the choke tube and ammo that they're using.

I had purchased their Dead Coyote choke tube and patterned it with Dead Coyote ammo (3" chamber) and was getting impressive patterns out to 30 yards. Past the 30 yard mark the patterns were horrible and I would NOT trust them out to 40 or further. The Dead Coyote choke tube measures at a .660" restriction.

I called Carlson's and spoke with one of their technicians, by the name of Scott and he was very helpful in getting the right choke restriction...for my application of coyote hunting. After talking with Scott, I found out that Scott is Scott Carlson, the owner. He suggested a .680 restriction would give me the patterns I was looking to obtain.

The next day, I wondered about shipping the choke, as I had purchased it at Cabelas. I called Carlson's again. This time I got a man on the phone by the name of Shane, Scott's son. He said that he got to do more of the test patterning than his Dad and agreed that the .680" restriction would do the trick. I explained my choke tube purchase and Shane said it didn't matter, it is their choke tube and they'd make it right. All I had to do was put a note in with the choke tube stating "exchange for a .680" restriction" and they'd get it back to me as soon as they get it. All I paid was shipping one way.

Outstanding customer service is what makes a company a good company!

By the way... I'm shooting a Mossberg 500 Turkey Special with a 20" barrel and 3" chamber...and a Carlson's .680" extended non-ported choke tube. I've had the best ammo patterning results with Dead Coyote and Remington HD in BBs....not to mention good kills.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

P.S. GC has excellent advise on patterning!