Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Shotguns And Shotgunning (NOT Slugs)

Browning Jam-o-matic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

I have used Break Free CLP to finish up my season, and I'm glad I tried it. I can only remember one feeding problem since, and that was due to a case being too long to clear my action port.

I would reccomend Break Free if you have an auto that jams. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Browning Jam-o-matic

I have a Browning Gold 10 that is a couple of years old, I always take it duck hunting with me! It makes a great boat anchor! You are better off with a crack barrel shotgun seeing how I get the same amount of shots off.... I knew I should not have sold my Xtrema, but I now have the Xtrema2 with Kick Off and wouldn't trade it for 10 brownings!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Silver Member

Yeah, I figured I was better off with a over and under, I picked up a red label. I have used the browning more just because I seem to shoot better with it. I have to really keep it clean and lubed lightly with breakfree.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

Brownells has an excellent tech article on the gold hunter. It involves cleaning the recoil spring and tube in the butstock along with the other normal areas. This solved my problems. Gun is failure free now. Don't know why Browning fails to tell owners about the problem with the spring/tube getting FILTHY and slowing cycle speed and causing jams.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

I couldn't locate the article on the brownell's website or google, but I did try tearing the gun completely down including the spring in the buttstock. I've cleaned that gun inside and out and use pipecleaners in the gas ports. It's still is pretty high maintenance, the pretty ones usually are.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

I have always liked the Browning rifles and shotguns because of there quality and
workmanship, But in My experience the autos are normally shell sensitive.(They have to be
set up for a particular load/pressure) and will not shoot different loads the same.

With that said most other autos have the same problem when switching from one shell
to another because if they are gas operated the port pressure will change and may not be
high enough to operate the action correctly, or it could be to high and make it hard on the
action.

Gas guns like the M14, FN Fal and others have to be adjusted if you reload or use foreign
ammo in them and with shotguns it is normally a spring that has to be changed to
accommodate certain loads and this cannot be done it the field very easy. So testing at the
range is a must befor going to the field.

I bought an Extrema for Two reasons, It is purpose built and not a modified 3" also with the
gas system design it will shoot anything from 1OZ trap loads to 2 1/4 OZ turkey loads with
no operating problems or changes.

There may not be anything wrong with your shotgun except the shells that you use. so try
different brands and the problem may go away.

Just my 2 cents

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Silver Member

When I first bought the browning, for the first year I didn't have any problems. The owners manual touted that it could cycle anything from the lightest 2-3/4" target loads to the heavy 3-1/2" turkey loads. It did for the first year. One of the places I hunt in is really sandy, that could be part of the reason, but I do keep the gun clean. It did fall over in the gooseblind once and filled the action with sand.

I shoot a variety of loads for waterfowl: remington, kent faststeel, heavyshot and heavysteel. Target loads I pick up whatever is cheap or available. One problem I had with heavyshot 3-1/2" load was it was too long for the ejection port. But the gun is pretty much an equal opportunity rejector of ammo. It could be super finicky and maybe perhaps there is one ammo it won't reject, but I haven't found it yet.