Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

SSG 260 carry rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member
Re: SSG 260 carry rifle

Went out and shot my suppressor on my 260. Checked my ES. I got 2940, 2936, 2940, and 2936. You can't wish for anything closer. It didn't have much recoil to begin with, but I don't think there is any anymore. It sounded a little louder than a 22 rimfire. My POI shifted 4.25" down. I guess you would expect that when you hang that much weight at the end of the barrel. I checked and the barrel still had clearance. Sure makes it easy for calculating when I have the suppressor on. 4.25 extra up and you have it.

"Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Unread 05-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member
Re: SSG 260 carry rifle

bilpelt, the first time I shot my .308 suppressed in competition, it really changed the handling characteristics of my rifle. It's outstanding shooting off a stable platform, but when I perform standing, kneeling or sitting shots, the rifle's balance is off, which is difficult to compensate for, at least for me. I thought that I could just go out and shoot a competition with out practice and everything would stay the same, it didn't. I still have not perfected it, just that added weight on the end on the barrel made a big difference in balancing the rifle. I need to get in a lot more practice, before I compete again.

I've also noticed some of the guys went from suppessor's to muzzle breaks. However, shooting next to these guys with their blasts can be tough at times, although, I may get a muzzle break in addition to using the suppressor, just to try it.

From all the research that I've done on suppressor's, and I am by no means an expert, your POI shift seems about the norm for a suppressed rifle. I use a Thunderbeast and a Surefire and I am right about where you're at, as far as shift is concerned with both brands.