Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

New long Range Savage 7Ultra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Gold Member

Re: New long Range Savage 7Ultra

Earl,

I was kind of afraid of something like that. I had been looking thru one of Fred's posts @ savageshooters.com on what fit what, and thought the OAL listed for the 7/.300 RUM seemed kind of short. Probably okay for factory ammo, not custom handloaded long range fodder.

My second choice for cartridge would be something in the 7/.300 WSM range... those should feed okay from a centerfeed DBM, wouldn't you think? I've had... questionable experiences with Savage's magazine feed (pre-DBM) over the years, so I'm a little leery at this point.

Thanks,

Monte
Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Silver Member

Monte,

I'll tell you what...the new centerfeeds feed awesome. If I was going to do it again, I would do exactly what I did, and not change anything. It will hold 3 rounds and cycles flawlessly. I love the extra "HorsePower" of the 7 ultra over the 7WSM. If you did want to go the WSM route, I would go with a long action. Here is a pic I took for you with one of the new centerfeed long action, DBM with a 300 WSM cartridge loaded to give you an idea. Next too it is a 7 ultra.

Mcmillan will inlet an A-5 for the detachable mag set-up. I have some bottom metal, trigger guard, and magazine, I'll let go cheap if you are interested. I have a 300 WSM large shank 12 twist 3 groove, waiting on an action. I plan on using it as my "woods" gun where shots will be shorter.

I will say this building the savages over the last 5 years has become addicting. I've been shopping lathes and plan on putting one in my gun room soon to continue to feed the habit!
Old 09-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Earl,

Nice work with good posts and information.

I just read through all of the posts and am confident that your "pressure" problems during break in were as you stated. (Not an oil free chamber).

You lucked out on the 180 Berger. That's a good thing.

I await your report on the deer harvest.

Like Magman I have dusted Bergers and WC 195s in a 3 groove fast twist 277 three groove barrel.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Earl, I'm trying to get my head around what you did to make it a repeater. I sounds like you are using a stagger feed magazine in a center feed rifle. Is that correct? What is the difference between the two types of actions? Would it be possible to post a photo of the magazine?

I've been toying with the idea of a screwing a Ultramag barrel on one of my Savages it would be great if it could be a repeater too.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Roy,

The deer pics and result are on page 3 of the thread.

The magazine used is indeed a staggered feed, but set up to be used as a centerfeed. I'll try to get you some pics of the setup.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Here are pics of the first mag that I modified. You'll need a dremel!!

1.) remove the tabs off both ends of the magazine.
2.) remove metal from each end of the mag so the cartridge will fit down in there. You want it clearanced on the front and back.
3.) shim in stock with tape to test for fit and function.
4.) when you are happy with results hot glue mag box into stock.

With a standard centerfeed action I think it can handle about a 3.8" cartridge.

I took the dremel and removed a slight amount of material from the bottom, rear of the action opening to allow me to clearance a 3.9" cartridge.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Earl,

Thanks for the details and pics on the magazine modifications. It does seem fairly doable... I have a Dremel, a pea-grinder (air-powered dremel, several sizes up in power), and files so I should be set ;)

Did you spec a certain OAL or throat dimension when you ordered the barrel from Pac-Nor... send them a dummy cartridge or something, or did you just go with what they sent by default for a 7mm RUM chamber?

Thanks,

Monte