Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

My custom SSG .300 RUM (Pierce/Russo/Seekins)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: My custom SSG .300 RUM (Pierce/Russo/Seekins)

She looks as good as she shoots. Or vice versa. Fantastic rifle!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Matt,

It was an absolute pleasure to provide you with this stock, and to talk to you on the phone through this build.

Same goes for working with Glen Seekins and Nate Dagley. It's alway nice to work with the guys here as you know everyone is true to their word and there are no surprises. These guys are top notch.

I often wondered what came of that project..

That is one of the most comprehensive write ups I've seen on a new gun build. Great post, enjoyed the pictures.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Joel!

I don't think my meager attempt at finishing quite does the stock justice... but at least I managed not to completely butcher it! At some point I may have somebody who knows what they are doing put the high-gloss bling finish on it, but at least now it is functional, and doesn't look too bad

For those who may be wondering: I'd planned to have the stock professionally finished (Nate has a guy that he uses who is apparently very good), but that idea was a victim of my time crunch, so I had Nate just finish the rifle without finishing the stock...

When I received it, I popped off the stock and did as many coats of sanding+Tru-Oil finish as I had time for (with the dry time needed between coats). The result is basically what you see-- there's just a little bit of shine when the light catches it at the right angle. It looks good enough to me at this point that I don't feel the urge to remove the stock again and add some more coats... yet.

Anyway Joel, thanks again for your work and all your help -- I'm sure I'll be giving you a call again... someday when my wife has forgotten about this one

-Matt
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member

Nice rifle, great job done by Nate!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Silver Member

Matt,

I love it myself. That is one fine rifle... Great write up and photos. Nate sure does some fine work. He built a 300 RUM for me not too long ago and it looks as deadly as it shoots. He has my parts for 2 more rifle builds and I know they will look and shoot great.

Jim
Old 01-07-2009, 04:08 PM

Nice Rifle but move your sights a little high and left, eventually you'll hit that quarter!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longershot View Post
Nice Rifle but move your sights a little high and left, eventually you'll hit that quarter!
I was specifically trying NOT to hit the quarter... after building this rifle, I can't afford to destroy it