Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

my budget .308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: my budget .308

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak636 View Post
Not sure where the trigger is set weight wise, but it is nicer then any of my other rifles. The factory setting is supposed to be right about 3lbs but i lightened it up a bit, gotta love user adjustable triggers.
HMMM well thats a 1/2 MOA group verticle and like 1.25 MOA horizontal Looks like maybe you werent establishing a natural point of aim.

"Let glorious acts more glorious acts inspire,
And catch from breast to breast the noble fire!
On valour's side the odds of combat lie,
The brave live glorious, or lamented die;" - Iliad, Book V
Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Bronze Member

seeing as I'm not entirely sure what that is that could very well be the issue
Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

This might help too ...

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
seeing as I'm not entirely sure what that is that could very well be the issue
Look through the scope. Place the reticle on target. Close your eyes. Take a deep breath and open your eyes. If the scope has moved off topic adjust your position until you can take a breath and remain on target.

Fundamentals of Rifle Marksmanship : U.S. Marine Corps : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

Looks like you are off to a good start, just remember to enjoy the sport and not let it become frustrating. I will suggest your first upgrade and it will go a long way for very little money. If you are using the OSB munufactured wood as a bench that your photo suggests, put a flat smooth surface over it
Old 12-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Bronze Member

We actually don't shoot off that bench we basically just set the rifles that we're not shooting on it..the bench is pretty haggard and how its setup puts you in a very awkward and uncomfortable position. So instead we usually shoot prone on the ground off a bipod and a rear bag.

We went out and set up my steel plate on sunday at somewhere between 600-700 yards(no rangefinder or GPS, so we paced it off and it paced off at 673) and decided to give it a try. Used a free ballistics calculator to get a rough idea how much adjustment i needed and dialed it in, and the first shot was about a half MOA below the plate; so i brought it up 1 full MOA which just barely nicked the right edge of the plate. So i dialed in a half MOA left windage and the next 3 rounds all landed on the right half of the plate in about a 7" circle. I was also quite happy that my temporary $30 wal-mart special scope returned to zero after cranking it up to shoot out that far, I felt 4/5 at a roughly estimated distance was pretty fair.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
We actually don't shoot off that bench we basically just set the rifles that we're not shooting on it..the bench is pretty haggard and how its setup puts you in a very awkward and uncomfortable position. So instead we usually shoot prone on the ground off a bipod and a rear bag.

We went out and set up my steal plate on sunday at somewhere between 600-700 yards(no rangefinder or GPS, so we paced it off and it paced off at 673) and decided to give it a try. Used a free ballistics calculator to get a rough idea how much adjustment i needed and dialed it in, and the first shot was about a half MOA below the plate; so i brought the it up 1 full MOA which just barely nicked the right edge of the plate. So i dialed in a half MOA left windage and the next 3 rounds all landed on the right half of the plate in about a 7" circle. I was also quite happy that my temporary $30 wal-mart special scope returned to zero after cranking it up to shoot out that far, I felt 4/5 at a roughly estimated distance was pretty fair.
Building a shooting bench is one of the best things I ever did for myself.