Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

My 284 win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My 284 win

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Hey guys i got my gun back from the smith on tuesday and i got the stock inletted and was able to mount the scope tonight. No pics yet because i cant find the card reader but i will try to get some up tomorrow. Not much to look at because i dont have an aftermarket stock yet. Specs are:

Gunsmith: Nate from Straight Shot Gunsmithing
Action: Savage 116 Weather Warrior FCSS
Barrel: Bartlein 1:8 twist SS 5R #4 contour finished at 26"
Muzzle Brake: Center Shot Rifles Mini Magnum Muscle Brake
Trigger: Factory accutrigger that i reworked and polished to get rid of the small amount of creep.
Stock: Factory Weather Warrior Stock that i inletted for the #4 barrel.
Scope: Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP EBR 1-MOA reticle.
Caliber: 284 WIN with about .265 freebore and a .317 neck.

I plan to go shooting on Friday to brake it in but i snapped my cleaning rod and i am not sure if my new ones are going to be here by then. I will update this thread with groups, and all the other fun stuff as it happens.

Take care, Riley
Man, I guess things do change---when I was 14, I thought I was pretty cool when my dad would let me wander around the pastures after school with a ruger 10-22 shooting sage rats.
Riley, that's a good looking rifle.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen

Last edited by mtnwrunner; 04-13-2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Randy, i would say about 3 or 4 times a week i walk around after school and shoot sparrows with my pellet gun. I think my record is something like 33??

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 04-14-2013, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Like i said not much to look at but here ya go.
Yeah, and it probably don't shoot worth a squat either.

ALso you weighed it on a set of male scales. Use female scales. They weigh lighter.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Very nice rifle, looks like it will balance nice! What aftermarket stock you dropping it in?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member

Roy, thanks, that made my day. And trust me, i am very excited to shoot this thing but the reason i said its not much to look at is because it looks like a factory weather warrior with a vortex scope and a brake..... That is until i get a new stock on it.

Rhian, thanks, i am not sure yet, since savage changed their recoil lug and bolt release with some of the accustock rifles, i dont think any of the current aftermarket stock will fit. I think i need to have one custom inletted for my action but i am not sure who to have do it. Recommendations??

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

It will look better to you when you take pictures that include the awesome targets it will shoot, or dead critters. Looks like a good start to me.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
It will look better to you when you take pictures that include the awesome targets it will shoot, or dead critters. Looks like a good start to me.
I like the way you think!!

I'm 16
~George Washington

~ JE Custom