Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

My 284 win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

My 284 win

Hey guys i got my gun back from the smith on tuesday and i got the stock inletted and was able to mount the scope tonight. No pics yet because i cant find the card reader but i will try to get some up tomorrow. Not much to look at because i dont have an aftermarket stock yet. Specs are:

Gunsmith: Nate from Straight Shot Gunsmithing
Action: Savage 116 Weather Warrior FCSS
Barrel: Bartlein 1:8 twist SS 5R #4 contour finished at 26"
Muzzle Brake: Center Shot Rifles Mini Magnum Muscle Brake
Trigger: Factory accutrigger that i reworked and polished to get rid of the small amount of creep.
Stock: Factory Weather Warrior Stock that i inletted for the #4 barrel.
Scope: Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 SFP EBR 1-MOA reticle.
Caliber: 284 WIN with about .265 freebore and a .317 neck.

I plan to go shooting on Friday to brake it in but i snapped my cleaning rod and i am not sure if my new ones are going to be here by then. I will update this thread with groups, and all the other fun stuff as it happens.

Take care, Riley

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 04-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: My 284 win

I guess I can't give you any crap for a no show with the pics since I've failed the last couple so I'll patiently await you getting your act together a producing some pics

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Haha, I will try harder on the 30/375 S.I....... I will see if i can get some pics up after school, i still have a couple minor things to do before she is ready to shoot! The only problem is i have to have my cleaning rods here by friday because this weekend i will be in Sioux Falls SD for a wedding. Maybe next week we can find time to get some break-in done. My 16 lbs of H4350 for this gun should be here today.

Riley

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Well we cant make it to the wedding because we are supposed to be getting some bad weather. The good news is i found my card reader and i will get pics up in a bit, i should also mention that the barrel is a #3 contour bartlein but a #4 contour Brux (which is what it was going to be but there was a mix up and i ended up with the bartlein). My cleaning rods didnt show up so i cant go shoot it yet .

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE Custom

Old 04-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Like i said not much to look at but here ya go.

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE Custom

Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Riley,
That looks like a very nice rifle. Hopefully you will be able to shoot it soon and give us a range report. What does the rifle weigh as it sits?
Jon
Old 04-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

The bathroom scale says 12 lbs but i dont think it is that heavy, the gun with the thinner 22" 270 barrel weighed about 7 lbs so i dont know what to think. the scope is only like a pound and a third. I have another rifle at Nate's that he is going to do for me and my Dad (30yrbrd), a 30/375 S.I.

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE Custom