Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

JE Custom and Lone Wolf 30-338 Lapua Improved Weatherby Mark V

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: JE Custom and Lone Wolf 30-338 Lapua Improved Weatherby Mark V

One of the best posts i,ve seen in a long time. It is apparent that every one involved had a lot of good points resulting in you the customer being happy.
That is what i would call the best deal out there, where everybody wins....Good luck with your rifle and please post some groups in the near future.....What a build....Thanks...Pat
Old 05-16-2010, 12:28 PM

Autorotate nice looking rig....

Is this a stock Weatherby action? What type of work did you do to the action?

I'm planning on rebarreling my Mark V and wondering if I should do any work to the action.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Gold Member

For as good as it looks it shoots even better

The action was a donor from a 300 Wby Synthetic.

JE Custom sprinkled his magic blue print pixie dust on the action as part of the build. It enables the gun to shoot Sub MOA at 1/2 mile+ with the shooters eyes closed, in wind conditions of 20kt gusting to 30 kts and mirage....But he charges extra for the pixie dust

On a serious note...most accomplished long range shooters will think a rebarrel without some action blueprint work to be a waste of money.

Most "full monty" blueprint/action truing jobs are on par with the price of a fluted custom barrel, and in order to give your rifle build it's best accuracy potential, most precision long range hunters/shooters would advise you to have that work done when re-barreling.

Action blueprinting specifics will vary from smith to smith, but smiths that build precision long range rifles are very likely to agree with what a blueprint is, especially once you specify your accuracy goals with them.

I would discuss your goals with three different smiths (build weight, max eff range vs. intended critter, and your budget), and see which one fits you the best.

Ask 'em if you can't just send them the link to this thread, or this 7STW thread, and ask how to take your gun from where it's at to one of those, or some twist variant of. Both of these rifles would make fantastic carry rifle build blueprints to tweak your build from.

Good luck!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Bronze Member

Great build and I really appreciate your work in this project. Your reamer design is exactly the ticket I wanted so you saved me these steps in reamer design. Of course everyone has different taste and desires in what the want so my build is with different action, barrel, trigger, stock, etc. but in the end will be along the same weight as your rifle. When I get totally finished and it is ready to roll I will post it on this site. I was wondering if you could tell me some about your procedures in fireforming cases, starting loads, accuracy loads etc.. I do not want to run anymore projectiles down the barrel thannecessary because of barrel life. This is a throat killer round. Your info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by trophyhunter170; 07-15-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Bronze Member

nice rifle
Old 07-18-2011, 02:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter170 View Post
Great build and I really appreciate your work in this project. Your reamer design is exactly the ticket I wanted so you saved me these steps in reamer design. Of course everyone has different taste and desires in what the want so my build is with different action, barrel, trigger, stock, etc. but in the end will be along the same weight as your rifle. When I get totally finished and it is ready to roll I will post it on this site. I was wondering if you could tell me some about your procedures in fireforming cases, starting loads, accuracy loads etc.. I do not want to run anymore projectiles down the barrel thannecessary because of barrel life. This is a throat killer round. Your info would be greatly appreciated
Trophyhunter-Be happy to share. Send me a pm if you still have questions after this post, and we'll get 'em squared up via pm/email or a phone call if needed.

On the reamer design (body taper, shoulder angle, neck dia, lead angle, throat specs) I have absolutely zero regrets. In fact, it's turned into the model for all my future wildcats on those respects. I would be remiss to take full credit though...there were some great minds that assisted me, answered questions, and shared their knowledge/experience with me....most all right here on LRH.

Case prep
1. Sinclair .338 neck expander
2. Turn to uniform neck wall thickness of .0135
3. Use .334 nk die to neck case down to form false shoulder, using a gauge JE Custom made for the rifle to get the die close, then finally using the chamber and bolt closing force to set the headspace to fine tune the die.
4. Size remaining cases, creating false shoulder, verifying every 5th round still chambers.
5. Load
6. Shoot
7. Out comes a beautiful fired case

I've hunted with non fireformed cases, just necked 'em down a shade more, to give an extra .0015 or so worth of headspace to ensure chambering in the field. Probably not recommended if you're on a dangerous game hunt...but the fireform loads shoot as good as the formed brass, with my limited abilities (3/4 to 1 MOA at 1K yards).

One recommendation-obtain a piece of fired brass (like from me so that your smith can ensure any feedramp/mag lip modifications are complete. I've had zero issues with the 37.5 deg shoulder and the rifle that JE Custom built...but it'd be a shame for you to get the rifle back, only to find a snag or two when you attempt to repeat fired formed cases through your setup...every rifle is unique, and you're smith should want to fireform cases or have a formed case to ensure feeding reliability. I might just know someone that could square you a way with a case if your using this reamer print
Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter170 View Post
This is a throat killer round.
I agree. However, it's my humble opinion, that throat life can be greatly effected by the pace of firing (and the subsequent temperature the throat area is subjected too), and the cleanliness of your barrel. Some smart fellas on here turned me onto Boretech Eliminator, and I clean to a white patch standard after every shooting session. JMHO...keep the barrel cooler than "warm to the touch" by limiting your rate of fire, and don't shoot repeated strings with carbon/copper and other nastiness in your pristine custom barrel...and these firebreathers will hold precision/accuracy potential longer than you might think! Just my 2 cents. Good shooting!