Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

JE Custom and Lone Wolf 30-338 Lapua Improved Weatherby Mark V

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: JE Custom and Lone Wolf 30-338 Lapua Improved Weatherby Mark V

I have the same caliber rifle, thanks to guys here at LRH. I had mine built in '07 right after joining LRH. I was in the process of re barreling a Sako 30-378 and asked here what I should do it in. Kirby chimed in and said to go with the Lapua wildcat. I took the friendly fellows advice and told the smith what I wanted. That was the extent of my knowledge when I did it. I can say now that this is a wildcat that is well worth the effort. I have run it pretty hard, and the Lapua brass just keeps going.

My rifle is not nearly as pretty as yours. Just looks like a Sako with a fluted 30" Lilja #7. The only other thing I had done to the rifle was shorten the length of pull and install a good recoil pad. I run with out a brake (for now).

Congrats on your new rifle, it is a beauty.

Steve
Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know If I can respond to this in words but I will try.

We all hear about the great gunsmiths on this site and I don't consider my self one of these
but I try to do my very best.

But we hardly ever hear about the recipient of one of these rifles and maybe that needs
to change because they should get half the credit for a good build for there ability to work
with the smith to get the "Perfect" rifle for them.

It realy goes a long way to having a great experience when having a custom rifle built knowing
what you want and expect, having a plan and not changing it in the middle of the build and
feeling free to ask questions when need be.

It is always a pleasure to build for a person that is interested in your opinion but is not afraid
to speak his mind.

AutoRotate is one of these guys and a pleasure to work with so maybe we need to talk about
the shooter more and let others know who is realy great to work with after all they have a big
impact on the finished product.

I once knew a master smith that would not build a bench rest rifle for anyone that was not
known to be a great shot because he said (The best smith in the world cant make a rifle
that will shoot in the hands of a pilgrim) Those were his words not mine.

But it nice when someone appreciates what we do and the pains we take to hand them the
best we can do.

I'm Just saying it goes both ways.

Thanks TIM

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by J E Custom; 03-25-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Great write up! I like that you took the time to share all of this, and that you gave credit to the folks who were in on it. I hope you enjoy your new rig. Its a beauty. Posts like these realy give a guy the bug. I gotta get enough $ scraped togather to start talkin serious to a smith. Congrats again!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-19-2010, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, what a rifle build!!!! It was a great write up with great picutres and detail. Thanks, I really enjoyed reviewing it.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: JE Custom and Lone Wolf 30-338 Improved Lapua Weatherby Mark V

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
Very nice write up. Enjoyed reading the specs.
How was Lone Wolf to work with on turn around time ?
Trueblue-Very quick. Fraction of the wait associated with the industry leaders. I did hemhaw getting them a barreled action, so I was in their que for a bit... that may have assisted in the quick turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Very good post.

A lot of your character shows through.

Very nice shootin' rig.

I just some kinda knew that J.E. knows what he's about. Nice work.

I especially liked seeing that ancient hand wringer in the background!

Didja ever get your tit caught in that thing.
royinidaho-I'll take the character comment as a compliment I think....

About tit catching....I had no idea I was in competition with that thing, as I'm in charge of that around here. It has to go now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
Great write up, and nice build Tim.
J.E. is top notch.
Thanks Joel....that says a lot, considering all the fine rifles you come across and have been a part of. And you're right....J.E. is as good as they get in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkthumper View Post
That's funny, sure can tell Auto's a pilot can't you. Sorry for poking fun Auto.
Awesome, awesome, rifle sir, my new favorite by far. Love the caliber, good looking stock, you have put together one fine piece of work there. If my construction company ever comes around and I could afford a custom like this I'd definatley be stealing some idas from you. Congradulations.
elkthumper-Thank you, and if we ever share a range line, it's yours to shoot, as long as the target is way out there! As far as the OCD....it comes with the occupation for most....I'm actually fairly laid back, and consider myself a "big picture" guy....but the details do matter of course

(Humor infused paragraph here) And with all this talk of my behavior/focus of detail, I must bring up this board is chock full of the biggest nervous nellies on the planet that sweat the most minuscule details (and it rocks).....so pot and kettle black and that whole thing. Sheez.....Some of the bedding threads Chad Dixon has posted has me doing laundry twice now before I wear it. Doesn't bother me a bit...bring it on

Just ask J.E Custom if details matter...........Ha!
Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

Congratulations, very nice looking rig and a excellent write up. Always nice to see who was involved in the build. Enjoy.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Bronze Member

Very cool rifle Tim!!! Well balanced !

Wildcat bullets.....Us 30 cal shooters could use some high BC 220 grain projectiles.

Steve