Got to the range this evening.
I did this with a TON of help from members here.
Kirby built a superb rifle. 308 Nate (and 284 Liz?) added some nice touches. Plus, he taught me to shoot in North Dakota wind (makes shootin' at home like spittin' on the sidewalk). 7mmrhb gave me a lesson in brass prep. Goodgrouper helped me do the loadwork.
The range. The far line of brush is 1160 yards.
After verifying 100 yard zero, I shot two of Bob Cauterucios bullets into phone books at 500 yards. Good performance there.
Then, I shot at 806. There's a bullet hole in a plasma cut bottom right. This was my sighter. I made an adjustment and quickly fired a three shot group. This is what I saw at the plate. The Dakota case is 2.5" tall. These things are hitting HARD at 800.
I was pretty happy with that performance. Next, I moved my plate to 1016. My sighter went 2" to the right of the plate. I made my adjustment and quickly sent three downrange. The plate was still swinging gently for shots two and three. This is what I saw on the plate.
This made me grin! Next, I backed the plate to the edge of the brush. My sighter was again just off the right side. I adjusted, and quickly sent three flying. I saw one and two hit. But, I didn't know about # three. This is what waited at the plate.
I don't usually shoot groups. This was just to test my loads at range. I think the load is working. I make no claims to be able to do this all the time. But, three hummers in a row is pretty darn sweet when load testing!