Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

Got it done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

Got it done

Well after several months of goofing around I got my last project completed! I'll have to say that it's not nearly as good looking as some of you other guys rifles but she shoots very well, I have not figured out what to do with the stock but landcbeitner has a pattern that well just chubs me up. This is an old skool build using a Mauser action (my last one) but with a few new things like the Broughton 27" 1-8 twist barrel and a cheap Timney Sprortsman trigger, Bell & Calson Varmint/Tactical stock and one of those SS 10x42 scopes since the funds would not allow a NF. I was a bit surprised the velocity with 107SMK's was 3049 with a SD of 7.0 with Retumbo powder. I'm happy with it! I'll put it to the test next week on some Texas p-dogs. Later fella's just thought I'd share that a rifle could still be built on the cheap.

There lets see if I got the pictures right this time!

Last edited by Ksmirk; 05-03-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: wrong link to pictures
Old 05-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

What cartridge? 243 win? Mine does about the same MV. Try H4350 and 4831SC if it's a 243. my rifle loves these powders 1/4 MOA @ 600yds.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Yes sir it's a 243 Win, I was looking at the 4350 but the pressures were a little less with the Retumbo, granted I doubt I could get anymore powder in the case with the charge I'm running. Haven't got it out for anything further than 100 yards but put 4 shots into a penny then the penny went away on the 4th shot. PM me with your loads I'd like to try some different ones being I might find a better one. Oh what colors did you use on your stock? I have to say it looks great might try and copy it if you don't mind? Later,

Kirk