Re: Finnaly my 7mm SAUM is alive.

Did Krieger flute that barrel?
Old 12-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Did Krieger flute that barrel?

No barrel was fluted by Mic -http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/index.php/services/barrel-fluting.

Thanks for the powder recommendations guys.
As this is a 90% hunting rig I'm not going to get too wrapped up in saving barrel life.
I don't want to get too court up in chasing that ultimate load and trying 10 different powders/bullets. Though I enjoy load testing i'm keen to sort out a load and then get out and get my dope and enjoy the rifle.
I'll pick 2-3 powders and try to find the best balance of availability, velocity, accuracy and low ES.

Christmas being so close i'm not sure I will get to the range any time soon. Maybe boxing day
Old 12-01-2013, 02:06 AM
Gold Member

Nice rifle. In my 7 SAUM I am using the 162 a-max and 65gr H1000, federal 215 primer, Nosler custom brass. I'm only getting 2816fps but it is a factory 22" tube.
Mine is the Rem Model 7 version, recently took a red hind at 450yds with it.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Gold Member

Good looking rifle and caliber choice of course. I have a 7 SAUM Stiller Custom and its go to load is 60gr H-4831 for the 168 Berger and 58gr for the 180 Berger. My wife took a deer last night with the 180, DRT with a neck shot at 120 yds.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Beautiful rifle. Like you, I will be building a 7saum soon. (it's actually in the works now). Rather than the 168grain bullets, consider the 180grain Berger hybrid and Retumbo.

Also, you should definitely worry about burning out the throat. The 7 saum is an overbore cartridge and if you put continuous rounds down the barrel without letting it cool some between rounds, you will burn it out.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Beautiful rifle. Like you, I will be building a 7saum soon. (it's actually in the works now). Rather than the 168grain bullets, consider the 180grain Berger hybrid and Retumbo.

Also, you should definitely worry about burning out the throat. The 7 saum is an overbore cartridge and if you put continuous rounds down the barrel without letting it cool some between rounds, you will burn it out.
Your right if shot hard or hot I'm not likely to get to 1000 round without considerable loss of accuracy.
I don't plan on firing long sting so the barrel heats too much.
I did consider the 180's but at the ranges I will be using it most, 168's will loose little to their bigger bothers.
I had the throat set with the 160's and 168's in mind so I can still feed from my modified Mags.
That said it's not a major job for a smith to cut the throat a little longer if I change my mind.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucraft View Post
Your right if shot hard or hot I'm not likely to get to 1000 round without considerable loss of accuracy.
I don't plan on firing long sting so the barrel heats too much.
I did consider the 180's but at the ranges I will be using it most, 168's will loose little to their bigger bothers.
I had the throat set with the 160's and 168's in mind so I can still feed from my modified Mags.
That said it's not a major job for a smith to cut the throat a little longer if I change my mind.
You're right, if you're shots are limited in distance then the 160class bullets are a good choice as their speed overcomes what they give up in BC to the 180. But when the range gets loooong the BC of the 180 will take-over.