LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Finished my Savage, Finally!!!!

bigngreen,

Very nice on everything.

Especially nice metal finish.

And a great shootin' rifle!

I enlisted the assistance of a well known long range shooter/machinist/rifle smith back east on the bullet project. I think you otta try the 160 class 0.6+ BC offerings in that barrel. Ask eaglet what they look like (via PM please) Should be something available not as soon as I would expect. (I have ziltch patience!)

BTW, Assuming a 100 yd zero, 19.5 MOA @ 1000 is very decent!

Ya gotta love the .277 caliber
Old 07-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Nice rig!!! Real nice!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
bigngreen,

Very nice on everything.

Especially nice metal finish.

And a great shootin' rifle!

I enlisted the assistance of a well known long range shooter/machinist/rifle smith back east on the bullet project. I think you otta try the 160 class 0.6+ BC offerings in that barrel. Ask eaglet what they look like (via PM please) Should be something available not as soon as I would expect. (I have ziltch patience!)

BTW, Assuming a 100 yd zero, 19.5 MOA @ 1000 is very decent!

Ya gotta love the .277 caliber
This barrel is the factory 1-11 twist so I would be pushed to get the 150's to shoot I think, but I stopped in and checked on barrel progress and I'll have it this week, it's a 1-9, 28 in barrel. Once I get that finished and I'll be ready for some of the IWK testing. I imagine it will be some time this winter when I actually get the new barrel chambered, I have a few things to get into place before I'm ready to tackle chambering, then again the reamer is sitting right here and the cordless drill is in the garage
I shot it a couple days ago, rapid fire to see if I could get it to wander with heat like it did before I worked it over, after 16 rounds there was no POI change from cold bore, I'm burning through Bergers like crazy since it is shooting so good!!!

Zero is at a 100yrds and depending on the weather I'm 19.5-20.5 MOA ish at 1015 yrds, after that it takes a dive though because of BC but I can just reach 1600yrds before I run out of adjustment.

Thanks for all the good words guys, this sure has been a great learning project!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

Well you certainly got my attention. I like what youve done with your rifle. Cool paint/flutes, and stock, crowning (saw your other post).....thoe whole darn setup looks nice. You out did yourself.
I like the turrits on that scope. What does a wotac scope run $ wise? Are those the factory turrits? There I go wandering off topic. Sorry.
Great job on ALL the work you did. Not everyone has the tallent to pull it off. Let alone make it look good AND shoot.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 07-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Nice rifle bigngreen ! I really like how the flutes stand out. I was feeling okay about my 546 yard group and you said that you could cover all 3 with your hand at 1015 well their goes my feel good

Great Job on everything I would be very proud of a group like that , shoot I would put that on my reloading room wall if it were me .

BigBuck
Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I'm burning through Bergers like crazy since it is shooting so good!!!
Them is familiar words. Yur gonna wear it out fer sur.....

I ended up shooting out a great barrel before I ever harvested anything but rocks.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Wear em out and shoot I say...barrels are cheap.