Well I made it out to the range early this AM again. Today & Friday are my last 2 days I have a chance to get there before hunting starts.
It is a terrible windy day here today. Not an ideal range day by any stretch of the imagination, but when the clock is ticking, what are you going to do?
So I braved the weather & gave it my best shot.
I had 6 different loads to try today(all 140gr Accubonds), well actually 5. I had 5 rounds of 61gr RL25 left over that I planned to use for fouling shots.
The first 2 were 64gr RL25 & 59gr RL22. RL25 was around the 3100 FPS range & RL22 was in the 3000 FPS range. Groupings are about the same.
Next was 60gr RL22 at an average of 3040 FPS, you can also see the group of 61gr RL25 in this photo. They are around 2950 FPS.
I could see marks on the head of the brass with 60gr RL22 which tells me we are getting some pressure.
Last was 65gr RL25 & 64.5gr RL25. I am not sure ig the 65gr load was me or if it is that bad, but that's what happened? Around 3125 FPS with 65gr & 3110 FPS with the 64.5gr load. Now the 64.5gr load caught my attention. The one flier was me for sure, a gust of wind kicked up when I pulled the trigger. It was the last round & I only had 3 rounds loaded, so I couldn't try a 4th.
I know my last 264 WM shot very well with 64gr RL25, so it does make sense being it is only 1/2gr difference we are talking about.
At least I know this load will be good enough to get me through a hunting season. I can do some more testing next year when I have more time.
I am going to have to try & get my hands on some US869 powder.
My old 264 WM shot extremely well with old H870 & was in the 3250 FPS range, but I don't have any left :( I understand that US869 is very very close to H870.
Well at least it is coming together now with some 1/2 decent speeds. On a better day I should be able to tighten those groups up some more.