Well, finally got the call. Chris at benchmark has my barrled action finished up. Built off a stiller action, number 6 barrel, fluted with the muzzle threaded for brake. Chambered in 7saum. I've built a few semi customs, but first fully custom build for me.
I've also taken a stab at building my own carbon fiber stocks, don't have the barreled action so pics of the stock will have to do for now, kind of a build in progress! Stock, bipod, and widden v block as it sits is at 2.5lbs. Figure I'll have another 1/2 at most after I finish out the action area.
This is the third stock I vacummed up. My first go was more traditonal, (I think) three layers of fiber, filled with foam. This one is 6 layers with 8 in grip action area, stiff enough in my book and no extra weight from foam. No expert by any means, truth be told to do it again. I would have bought a manners,,, and if this one doesn't work out, I'll look for something else, but so far so good. Built my own "form" would have loved a A2 mcmillian or something else to cast from but oh well, don't own one. Anyway, here is the project as it sits, still need to tackle action area, triggerguard, etc, but need the action to move forward, should have a updated pic or 2 in the coming week, trigger is a jewell, sightron 6-24, wyatt mag box rounding it out, stay tuned!
I guess best to start with YouTube. Vacuum bagging carbon searches etc. west systems the expoxy supplier has good information. Basic requirements for how I went about it would be the vacuum pump itself. Bagging materials. Fiber and epoxy. The hardest part is the molds. First one I did was simply a cast of a factory stock. My mold was not durable (fiberglass) so for me these are one of a kinds. Takes a long time. There are actually posts on this site somewhat detailing the process, do a search. I got some tips here, and good advise for my build so I figured I'd post some shots down the home stretch.
Re-Read my second post. When I say my mold was not durable, I meant to say it was NOT made of fiberglass. I actually used plaster of paris that I let dry for about a week, then painted 5-6 times. Problem came when I went to pull the mold, plaster was not durable and broke up, but at least I got my part! Here are a couple pics, first in the bag with the first stock I made, then second for the "inside" of that stock. The ridges you see is excess epoxy. My vacuum is only pulling about 15 inches,,, better would be 22-25 so didn't pull out all epoxy it should have.
Okay, guys who do this for a living or professional photographers, please look away!!
There is a stiller barreled action in there somewhere, second "pour",,, first was the widden bedidng block, then a full devcon bed. I had my mix a bit liquid on the widden, going to be a bit of time with a die grinder to get my mag and trigger box back.
So far so good, never really warm and fuzzy about a bed job till I pull it, had a bad experience years back with a mauser action and a AAA piece of walnut that still keeps me up at nights