Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

7mm Rem Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 12:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mm Rem Mag

Very nice rifle. Two suggestions....

1. DO NOT put a Timney trigger on your rifle. Two friends of mine have had them and both failed! Save a few more dollars and get a Jewell.

2. 162amax is a nice bullet but you have sufficient case capacity to push 180grain bullets pretty darn fast too. The 180's smoke the 162/168 when the distances get long.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Very nice rifle. Two suggestions....

1. DO NOT put a Timney trigger on your rifle. Two friends of mine have had them and both failed! Save a few more dollars and get a Jewell.

2. 162amax is a nice bullet but you have sufficient case capacity to push 180grain bullets pretty darn fast too. The 180's smoke the 162/168 when the distances get long.

Thank you! Good news, I did a little more research before I ordered the Timney and discovered that others were saying what you have said. I ordered a Jewell from Larry Scott yesterday.

I figured I should probably switch to the 180's. As soon as I can find some 180 hybrids in stock I'll be buying some. They should be better against the wind to, which around here, seems like it ALWAYS blows 20mph. I've be hesitant to do so to this point simply because I despise load development and it's a capable 1 hole gun with the 162's. Hindsight if I would have known Hornady was going to stop producing them, I would have switched a long time ago. Thanks for the good advice and comments!
Old 04-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice rifle and the bolt is on the correct side! No kidding about the wind. I gun hunted opening weekend NE of St. Joseph last fall and the wind must have gotten up over 50 mph. Unreal!

NRA Life Member
Old 04-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Silver Member

Thank you! Out of curiosity, where did you go hunt at? I'm pretty familiar with every small town north of St Joe.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Near Clarksdale. I've hunted it twice over the last 4 years opening weekend and have only seen a couple of deer. The wind didn't help last year but I'm definitely looking for a better place on private land to hunt the opener.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Silver Member

Clarksdale is about 60 miles south of where I'm from. Worth and Harrison counties seem to have some of the biggest deer in the state. Also, over towards Rockport/Tarkio area there have been some really big dear shot. Go a little farther North and you should have some pretty descent luck. I must say, the deer hunting has been slightly disappointing the last two or three years. I haven't seen the huge deer that I generally see at least once a season.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWmissouriman View Post
Thank you! It does shoot good. Currently better than I can shoot it. My buddy who does my reloading can shoot one hole groups with it, but he also shoots BR competition. I think I'll improve once I get the trigger switched out or lightened up. I had it checked by my friend and it was breaking at a little over 5lbs, which is pretty dang heavy for me, especially compared to my ar.
I just replaced my trigger springs and took it don to 2.0 lbs. not only did it improve my shooting, it surprises me when it breaks and keeps me focused on the basics.