Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

6mm Competition Match by MCR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 03:29 PM
SPONSOR

6mm Competition Match by MCR

Here's another one I recently finished up. It's chambered in a 6mm Competition Match or 6mm CM. It's a 243 Winchester with a 31* shoulder. Shooting H1000 powder from this cartridge and a 115 Berger it yields velocities around 3100 fps. The biggest advantage to this round is its barrel life. 4000 plus rounds and the 6mm CM will still shooting as good as the day it was made. I'm sure you'll start seeing more of these pop up in the near future as a prairie dog rifle. These make a great F-Class or across the course cartridge too. Here's the specs, hope you all enjoy.

Fully Blueprinted Rem. 700
Holland Recoil Lug
Brux Rem. Varmint Contour / 1-7.5 twist / 28" Finished Length
Factory trigger tuned
Wyatts MBE-5 Mag Box
HS Precision Stock
Full Action Bedded
Metal Cerakoted Coyote Tan

6mm Competition Match by MCR-tim-connelly-6mm-cm-1.jpg

6mm Competition Match by MCR-tim-connelly-6mm-cm-3.jpg

www.mcrifles.com
Old 07-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6mm Competition Match by MCR

4000 rounds of barrel life! that's quite a statement. Would you really expect that from a competition rifle where tenty rounds in quick succession will be pounded down the barrel on a regular basis?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 AM
SPONSOR

I've been researching this round for a couple years now. Watching those that I knew were shooting it in competition. Most are F-Class an NRA across the course where 20-50 round in succession is the norm and 1000 plus rounds per year is typical . I contacted Joe Hendricks who as far as I'm aware is the originator behind the 6mm CM. There were only a couple smiths that even have access to the reamer as it was proprietary so there are not hundreds of rifles chambered in 6mm CM yet. Those that are are yielding 3500 - 4000 plus rounds with no loss of accuracy and are still winning or are a competition threat. I'm just starting into my personal 6mm CM so it may be awhile until my round count gets up there but there are a few guidelines to follow to ensure superior barrel life and accuracy. Attached is some of the general information I've received from Joe.

6mm CM.pdf

6mm CM Start.pdf

www.mcrifles.com
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 AM

makes a helluva tactical match cartridge too.... nice work Kevin. Sticking w/ 6.5 for now, but 6mm certainly competes with the best.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc. has built a handful as well. He is touting roughly the same numbers for barrel life, crazy long. Very interesting. Good looking build Kevin.

Makes me wonder if a rechamber is in order after I torch the barrel in my 6-284...

Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

What kind of groups are they getting? Are they in the .1's with five shot groups? What is the typical powder charge grains? How many reloads before brass issues? I would love to get some info/experience on this caliber.

I am building a hunting rifle again in one of the 6mm's. I was planning on a Dasher but with a thousand more rounds of barrel life and about 50-100fps faster with a 115 instead of a 105 I am interested.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry Kevin saw the links after I posted. I will be curious if this will be the caliber to finally top the Dasher. Only time will tell.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran