Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos

6.5 SAUM build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 6.5 SAUM build

There is a similar thread on this same type of build on snipershide...has me drooling...Now being a lefty myself this really hits home cause I have the gotta have it syndrome right now...lol

How are you doing your brass and are you able to find any other then what you have for shooting now?

The approx 8 lbs is a great weight for hunting rifle in my book...what kind of scope did you go with also what exactly is your barrel contour/type/twist?

Thanks,,,,and very nice rifle!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Bronze Member

ok I see the scope...never mind about that..jus started typing as soon as i saw it...cant wait to see the finished product ..
Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

I've got several 7saum Remington cases that are neck turned , annealed, and sized down. I also have quite a few Nosler 300 SAUM cases that are turned at 30 cal sized down in two stages and turned again at 6.5 and annealed. Finding brass is difficult right now but I have several hundred on backorder. I've got plenty to keep me going for now.

Barrel contour is a #4 8 twist.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Bronze Member

I'm sure a hunting rifle that is enough brass...

Did you supply the parts to your smith and have him assemble or how did that part of the build go?

I guess he has the reamer to build those... You were his first or has he done this caliber before.

Sorry for fifty questions just curious as I really like your rifle...
Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

I've had the action at my smith for a couple of years trying to decide what to build. When I decided what I wanted to build I ordered the reamer and had it delivered to my smith. I had him order me a Brux bbl for the build but my curiosity about the 6.5 SAUM was killing me so I bought a Mullerworks bbl that I found in stock so we could get it chambered up and do some testing. Then I robbed a stock off on of my 6.5x47 Lapua's and we got it chambered up. So still have a Brux bbl for it. I should have the mcmillian stock I ordered for it in a week or so. The smith is pretty much family so I'll be headed over to his shop on Friday to completely finish it up.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPGfan View Post
I've had the action at my smith for a couple of years trying to decide what to build. When I decided what I wanted to build I ordered the reamer and had it delivered to my smith. I had him order me a Brux bbl for the build but my curiosity about the 6.5 SAUM was killing me so I bought a Mullerworks bbl that I found in stock so we could get it chambered up and do some testing. Then I robbed a stock off on of my 6.5x47 Lapua's and we got it chambered up. So still have a Brux bbl for it. I should have the mcmillian stock I ordered for it in a week or so. The smith is pretty much family so I'll be headed over to his shop on Friday to completely finish it up.
Good luck with the completion of your build!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 05-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Bronze Member

I have to say, I feel exactly the same about those brux and muller barrels... Hands down I want a Brux but my curiously is also wanting the muller. I am still considering this caliber build and look to do it on a deviant action....I was jus out shooting my friends 6.5x284 today and we were talking about you and your post on here..

Look forward to more feedback...thanks for the info you have shared