Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Gun Photos


Reply

300 Win Mag

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Petal, Ms
Posts: 114
300 Win Mag

Here is my first custom built rifle from a great guy named Ray Bowman @ Precision Rifle and Tool. The story started with this rifle back in 2011 when my wife bought me a Sendero SF II for Christmas. When I took it out of the box and handled it I didn't like the HS Precision stock with the palm swell. So I ordered me a McMillan Remington hunters stock to replace my stock one. While I was waiting on my Stock I decided to order a Jewell trigger because I didn't like the new trigger that came with the rifle. Now that I had a new stock and trigger on order I got thinking that all I need was a new barrel and it would be a custom rifle. After looking at prices to true actions and calling different smiths asking questions I decided to order me a Brux barrel. My Barrel showed up in less then a week so I was set. I started searching for a smith to do my work about months before my stock was ready and decided on Ray Bowman. He is a great guy and after talking with him for about 10 minutes I knew he was the one to do my work. I got my stock in and sent all of my stuff to him. He done the build just exactly like I wanted and in the time frame he gave me. Now it's time to enjoy it for years to come. Here are the specs and thanks for looking.

Remington blue printed action
Brux Remington Varmint 1 in 11 twist 27"
Jewell trigger
McMillian Remington hunter stock
Seekins base and mounts
Leupold 6.5 x 20 x 50 VX-3
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
300 Win Mag-imag0052-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 587
Re: 300 Win Mag

Very nice. Once you have some time to work up a load I would be interested in what you end up with. And post some pics of your groups too!

I am currently waiting on a 300 win mag custom build and am planning on starting out with the Barnes 175 LRX and some H4831sc using Nosler Custom brass. But I still have a long time to wait...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Petal, Ms
Posts: 114
Re: 300 Win Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
Very nice. Once you have some time to work up a load I would be interested in what you end up with. And post some pics of your groups too!

I am currently waiting on a 300 win mag custom build and am planning on starting out with the Barnes 175 LRX and some H4831sc using Nosler Custom brass. But I still have a long time to wait...
Thanks. I loaded some 185 grain Berger's with 79 grains of H1000 and Winchester brass. Hopefully will be able to test some loads Monday.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 587
Re: 300 Win Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE39465 View Post
Thanks. I loaded some 185 grain Berger's with 79 grains of H1000 and Winchester brass. Hopefully will be able to test some loads Monday.
For what it's worth, I spent the money on Nosler custom brass and have taken the time to inspect each one. weight, length, neck thickness... and I will never shoot anything else. It's kind of a rule of thumb that any variation you find in the thickness of the neck is going to be present within the body of the case as well. And although you can turn the necks you obviously cannot fix brass thickness variations in the body.

I have just had bad luck with Winchester brass having horrible variations in neck thickness. my Winchester WSM brass had variations up to .005", which is just horrible. the largest variation I found in any of the Nosler brass was .001, and after the first firing the majority of the brass fell within .0005. I have reached a point with the Nosler brass that I am now wasting time if I try and measure anything. It is just extremely uniform and consistent... (I believe the majority of Nosler brass is made by Norma, but they do take the time to sort the brass by weight which is one step beyond what Norma does)

Anyways, See how your win brass shoots and if you are having trouble then checking your neck thickness might be a good place to start. But I"m guessing with your custom build it's going to shoot just about anything really really well.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Petal, Ms
Posts: 114
Re: 300 Win Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
For what it's worth, I spent the money on Nosler custom brass and have taken the time to inspect each one. weight, length, neck thickness... and I will never shoot anything else. It's kind of a rule of thumb that any variation you find in the thickness of the neck is going to be present within the body of the case as well. And although you can turn the necks you obviously cannot fix brass thickness variations in the body.

I have just had bad luck with Winchester brass having horrible variations in neck thickness. my Winchester WSM brass had variations up to .005", which is just horrible. the largest variation I found in any of the Nosler brass was .001, and after the first firing the majority of the brass fell within .0005. I have reached a point with the Nosler brass that I am now wasting time if I try and measure anything. It is just extremely uniform and consistent... (I believe the majority of Nosler brass is made by Norma, but they do take the time to sort the brass by weight which is one step beyond what Norma does)

Anyways, See how your win brass shoots and if you are having trouble then checking your neck thickness might be a good place to start. But I"m guessing with your custom build it's going to shoot just about anything really really well.
Thanks for the info. I will pick some Nosler Brass
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 252
Re: 300 Win Mag

What combo/percentages of color did you get on that stock? Would love to see the bolt side of your rig. Hows it shootin?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Petal, Ms
Posts: 114
Re: 300 Win Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmpredator View Post
What combo/percentages of color did you get on that stock? Would love to see the bolt side of your rig. Hows it shootin?
I can't remember the combo/percentages so tomorrow i will call McMillian and find out exactly what the specs are. Hopefully they will have it still logged? The rifle shoots 1/2 inch to 3/4 at 150 yards with a 208 Amax touching the lands,RL22 loaded to the max. No pressure signs at all so when I get more time I am going to start playing with seating depth and increase the powder. Sorry for the bad pic. I'm not very good at taking pictures.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
300 Win Mag-imag0065-1-.jpg  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 32.03%
74 Votes
NO - 51.08%
118 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 16.88%
39 Votes
Total Votes: 231
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC