Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Trophy Photos

New Zealand Trophy pics-Dialup beware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 06:46 PM

The two following sika stags were shot in hawkes bay, East coast of the north island in the kaweka ranges. Sika are a superb game animal, which will challenge the best of hunters. They give a high pitched squel when spooked but are very inquisitive and had been known to follow hunters if they aren't sure what you are. In the roar they can be very unpredictable. I had one episode where i had shot a spiker, gutted it then kept hunting. 100m further on i had a stag charge me and when i finally put him down he was 3m in front of me!!
The final set of pics are from labour weekend this year on the west coast again. For the trip we saw 70-80 tahr and the chamios buck. For the trip we shot 4 Bulls, 5 nannies and the chamios with the shots ranging from 150m-535m. On the last day it was raining ice and we were hunting thu 2 ft of fresh snow from the night before. We still managed to bag my mate his first tahr at 360m and once he had fired another mob of approx 20 tahr appeared higher up the mountain so i shot 3 more nannies at around 450m.
All in all they have all been very memorable trips with great mates in beautiful country.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Nz,
Just
Old 12-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Silver Member

Nz,
just want to thank you for posting all those wonderful pix''s,
man thats a hunters dream field ifin i ever seen one.
welcome to the forum!!!!!
regards jjmp
Old 12-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

NZ,

Impressive country and photos.

There is something catchy about those jacket ya'll are wearing in that pic w/all together. What's the run down on them?
Old 12-15-2007, 10:29 PM

The jackets.

The jackets are made by a company called Swazi. They make very good gear. The jacket in particular is the Tahr Anorak. Gore tex etc.
I guess we never really realised we all had the same jacket till we looked at the photo's and said "Sh!t we look like a pack of knobs" but i guess really its a testiment to the quality of the gear. They retail at about $660 nzd, so are not cheap, but in mountains like these they could be the difference between death or survival. You could also note that all bar one of us are wearing Meindl Makalu Pro boot again retailing at around $700nzd. But as i always say "you can't put a price on your passion!!"

I've actually just got back from a hunt last night, seeing 5 red deer. 2 hinds, one with fawn, a young stag and another older stag which we shot for meat.

Im heading into the alps on the 26th of this month for 10 days hunting chamios and tahr so look out for the report in the new year.
We will be hunting the open tops and camping at 1600m. Hopefully some longer range shots will be available!!
Old 12-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Silver Member

Those red stags are really cool. I am going to have to get one of those on my wall next to my elk. Thanks for sharing.

SES50
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Gold Member

NZhunter

Hay Guys

What Cab of Rifles were you shooting?

what kind of scopes is on your rifles ?

What Kind of spoting scope do you use ?

Redbone

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards