Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Photography > Trophy Photos

My Old Alaska Hunt Pictures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 PM

Re: My Old Alaska Hunt Pictures

Thank you for sharing these amazing photos with us.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

Wow - great photos. I tried to draw a moose tag this year but didn't have any luck. Looks like you're a moose expert for sure.

Those buggys are awesome. Did you say you make them? Is there somewhere I could see more about them?
Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Loved all the photo's! My dream is to make it up there "some day" to hunt!

Are you cutting them in half with a hand saw of some type? I have an idea! I would imagine you folks take a small to medium size chain saw or two with you to camp. Keep one or two as wood saws for firewood or clearing downed trees etc, but keep a third on in the buggies that is a dedicated "meat saw" Instead of bar oil in it, use luquid cooking oil and take a gallon jug or two on your trip with you. The chainsaw would make quick work of splitting a moose down the spine, and the cooking oil will not contaminate the meat! What do you think? I've heard of folks/outiftters that used that trick on elk down near the Gardiner Montana area on the late elk hunts. I don't know why that would not work and work very well for you!! If I draw a BISON tag, I'm going to take a saw set up just for that purpose to assist in the quartering of such a huge animal.

Keep the photo's coming!!
David
Old 08-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm Remington View Post
Loved all the photo's! My dream is to make it up there "some day" to hunt!

Are you cutting them in half with a hand saw of some type? I have an idea! I would imagine you folks take a small to medium size chain saw or two with you to camp. Keep one or two as wood saws for firewood or clearing downed trees etc, but keep a third on in the buggies that is a dedicated "meat saw" Instead of bar oil in it, use luquid cooking oil and take a gallon jug or two on your trip with you. The chainsaw would make quick work of splitting a moose down the spine, and the cooking oil will not contaminate the meat! What do you think? I've heard of folks/outiftters that used that trick on elk down near the Gardiner Montana area on the late elk hunts. I don't know why that would not work and work very well for you!! If I draw a BISON tag, I'm going to take a saw set up just for that purpose to assist in the quartering of such a huge animal.

Keep the photo's coming!!
David
We used to use various hand saws to cut the moose in half but we now use a Milwaukee Sawzall to cut them in half. I've got more pictures to post but right now we are in the middle of getting ready to head out on our annual hunting trip.

Gus
Old 08-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
getting ready to head out on our annual hunting trip.
Best of luck! Looking forward to those pics.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:12 PM

Awesome is the only word that comes to my mind. Thank you for sharing
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Silver Member

I guess that I've been kind of slaking, here's another picture from almost 20 years ago.

Gus