Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

The Why Of The AR-15 Semiautomatic By Jerry Stordahl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator

The Why Of The AR-15 Semiautomatic By Jerry Stordahl

Quote:
Bolt action rifles in general will overlap into other uses, and the semiautomatic AR-15 shares the same useful trait. The AR-15 has endured a rocky trail from its inception, but in today’s shooting climate, it has become one of the most popular platforms ever produced.

The AR-15 has been maligned by the media, attacked by politicians, and even some in the shooting world have assaulted the “black rifles.” They’ve come up with the misnomer, “assault rifle” to mislead and insinuate that these firearms possess some inherent evil. But every firearm’s sole purpose is to serve as a cartridge firing platform, and that includes the popular AR-15. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, The Why Of The AR-15 Semiautomatic, By Jerry Stordahl. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Last edited by Len Backus; 06-15-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: The Why Of The AR-15 Semiautomatic By Jerry Stordahl

I have to agree with you about thr AR. I never saw a use for a semi-auto gun for hunting untill I started hunting coyotes behind dogs. I use super explosive bullets because of ricochets, bullets I would never use in a bolt gun for them, but them slow them down enough that I can get several more shot off and I`ve only hit 1 that got away from me and that was because the junk mil. case blowed a primer and it jammed the action so I watched him limp in so standing corn. A flat top with a 3x9 Leupold in the best all around coyote gun there is, if you can have only 1 gun.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:45 PM

I allways thoght a semi would not shoot with a bolt gun but I got colt h-bar elite and it will shoot 1/2" with 40 50 55 60gr.vmax at a 100 yards I use ramshot x-term for lite bullets and varget for the 60gr vmax
Old 08-14-2009, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Acouple of years ago I bought 2000 55 gr, bullets for $131 includeing shipping. Other than being cheap I knew nothing about them. I loaded 5 rounds with a cheap over run powder and went out and shot a .700 from a card table with the scope set on 9X. Since these rounds were to be fired at mostly running coyotes and off handed I never tried to get better accuracy. In 8 coyotes we got total penitration on only 1. From about 75 yrds. I put one between the ribs on the near side and it put a 3 1/2 to 4 in hole on the back side. I have hit ribs on the near side and the bullet will not go through. A shot from behind will pile them up, but they are scrambling to get back up. 2 or 3 more shot will change their mind, and I don`t worry about rickochets going to the next road.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:57 PM

I have used and "Cleaned" the M16, M16A1, M16A2, and the M-4 for over thirty years. It is an excellent weapon for accuracy and a lot of other things when compared to the soviet block stuff. How ever cleanliness is a must, which makes this weapon a pain in the ass at times. I much prefer the bolt design of the M1 Garrand, of which I have one, or the M14. These semi autos are much easier to clean say 10 minutes as compared to way over an hour for the M16. They are also easier to clean and maintain in the field, than the little black rifle. To really clean the little black rifle, well, you need to have the set up of say the Special Forces Weapon Cleaning facility at Fort Bragg, which is used by all SF students and Group members at Bragg. Things are much easier then. But in the middle east, such as Iraq, and Afghanistan, it is a whole different ballgame. I guess what I am saying is that I will take the black rifle over the soviet crap, but would rather have the M14.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Living in rural East Tennessee a collapsible stock on my 16 inch AR-15 makes a very handy truck gun.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:46 PM

I have worked as a Police Officer in a major city for 37 years and we tested most versions of civilian m16. I own several AR15 and many Garands......Still if I were going to Mars and could only take one handgun and one rifle. They would be an AK & a Glock..Sorry Black gun owners, thats just the way it is. We naver could make either fail without major abuse. At this time I don't own a Glock or an AK. I shoot matches with a Colt style 1911 and a Compass lake service rifle. Just my 2 cents after being a Range Officer in Chicago for 6 years.