Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

When Mother Nature Conspires Against You! By Darrell Holland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Re: When Mother Nature Conspires Against You! By Darrell Holland

When I lived in Oregon for a few years I remember some of the loggers I met always had a couple of flares around for a warm up fire. Really good idea especially in a damp climate.

I find it hysterically funny that the "survival" shows on TV and most of the books I've read on the subject spend so much time on food. In a survival situation the last thing you need to be thinking of is food. In cold, wet weather: Warm and dry, everything else is luxury. In a hot climate: Water. Hypothermia will kill you in a matter of hours or even minutes. In cooler weather you can go a few days with out water. In real hot weather you can be near death or unable to help yourself in a day without water. Most of us could use a few days, if not a week or two without food, let alone waste away from the lack of it!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Good article, thanks for writing and sharing with us. IMHO always trust your compass unless you want to spend an unplanned night in the Adirondack Mountains in snow like I did.

Would be interesting to see an article written about ability to survive based on one's state of physical conditioning comparison between hunter "A" in decent condition versus hunter "B" in not so decent beer belly condition.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

Honest stroy - a Navy Seal once told me, "it is not about the size of the dog, it is about the size of the fight in the dog."

Having once spent 3 un-planned days in the woods and walking out onto a indian reservation in Canada and getting a ride back to the states by a car load of drunk indians - I can tell you there is truth in that Navy Seal's assessment.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 03-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

In the Corps we called it intestinal fortitude so no arguing that. I think an article by someone in the know would be interesting as IMHO size I would think matters depending on conditions. For example if your really skinny I'd think you'd starve to death in a shorter period than a robust fella...who knows I could be wrong or if your obeast and out of shape then what disadvantage if any...I don't know. Not to hijack the post just a thought.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

I've talked to many a person that will not carry an axe in the boundary waters canoe area for the fear of a self inflicted axe wound. Smarter to carry a sweed saw. An injury in the wild , no matter what distance could prove fatal.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

Redhead, where can one go to check out a Sweed Saw? I checked the web and all that came back was commercial machinery saws.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:25 AM

Swede saw or Swedish saw is a small metal framed bow saw. The name comes, if I remember correctly, from the Swedish company that made them and imported them in large numbers.

By extention, if one is worried about self-inflicted ax wounds, you should under no circumstances ever carry a knife, as knife wounds are far more common. Further, why go outside ones house at all? It is a separate subject as to how and why such strange mythologies persist amoung otherwise rational and experienced outdoors people. When I was guiding I constantly had to argue with clients that insisted on "cutting the throat" of a dead animal so it would "bleed out" despite all evidence that all it did was ruin the cape!

The advantages of an ax over a saw are worth the "considerable" risk involved...