Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

What Is Parallax And How To Adjust For It? by Chris Farris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator

What Is Parallax And How To Adjust For It? by Chris Farris

This is the thread for discussion of the article: What Is Parallax And How To Adjust For It? by Chris Farris

Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article. The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so he can join the discussion.

Last edited by Len Backus; 08-29-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What Is Parallax And How To Adjust For It? by Chris Farris

Hello Chris,

Are there certain scope manufacturers and combinations whereby the parallax errors are more "minimized"? I guess I'm sort of alluding to, that for general hunting purposes out to a maximum range of say 600 yds I've always been ok with my leupold 2-7 or 3-9 power scopes and have never adjusted for parallax. (maybe I've just been lucky all these past 40 years!) Now I see some pretty nice, albeit expensive scopes out there that go up to 12 and 15x magnification and it would seem the issue is greater if I want to go with such a unit.

I have a 3.5-15x Nightforce that I've been using for plinking at the range on a small .223 but I'm not sure I trust such a thing for my larger caliber hunting rifles. Not that I worry about the recoil, I just dont want to spoil a shot and wound an animal for instance, or fail to make a clean kill, and when I'm in the field I dont want to have to screw around with infinate adjustments whenever I do have a chance at a shot.

The highest powered scope I previously hunted with was a 3-9x, but I just put a 2.5-10x Zeiss on my .338 and really like it, though I've not used it sufficiently to tell if I really need to be adjusting for parallax, it seems to be pretty much on target out to 300 yds at the range.

Not that 10x is insufficient, but I'm considering a 12x Zeiss or Swarovski for my .300 Weatherby for long range dall sheep or caribou shots. However, I fear I may be treading on the grounds of building in a parallax error at the higher magnifications which is greater than I want to cope with in the field. Can you shed any light on this decision for me please?

Last edited by chriso; 09-13-2009 at 01:14 PM.