Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Turrets 101

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 03:47 PM

Re: Turrets 101

Very interesting but have some questions:
Iīm about to buy a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 x 44 BT 4W scope for a 300 Win. Mag. hunting rifle and would appreciate your comments on what BT ring to get. The Z5 has an limit of 58 MOA on the BT turretīs elevation which is not bad for a hunting scope as far as I want reach out.
Will use factory ammo since I canīt get powder to make my own and what powder I have is saved to load my 270 Win that I use locally on Deer. The ammo to use is Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 180 grain bullet on the 300 WM and looking to buy a BT ring from Outdoorsman’s for the Z5 scope.
What BT ring should I order, as it must match several requirements like: caliber, scope height, bullet, muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, ALTITUDE and temperature and here is where Iīm stuck !!!
These two constraints that I need help on are Altitude and Temperature. Hunting situations take you to different setups and the altitude or elevation above sea level is the most important. Canīt order BT rings for every altitude because this would not be economical so a compromise must be assumed since I would like to reach out somewhere around 650 yards max.
Should I get a Custom turret mark in yards or one with MOA ???
Should I get one for zero elevation (see level) and another for lets say 6000 ft elevation ???
Appreciate your comments, thanks
Wille
Old 12-21-2013, 09:16 PM

Can anyone help me set the zero stop on my Schmidt Bender 5-25x56 PMII MTC?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:31 AM

the one thing i never understood about custom turrets marked with yardage is the inconsistent variables. sure the constants are easy to account for, like muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, bullet type, bullet weight, ect. When you live in a place where one day of hunting season can be a beautiful 50 degree day with no wind and the next day be 20 degrees and snowing like crazy with a 30 mph wind it leaves me to question this type of turret. And the unit i do most of my hunting in has elevation changes from around 1350 to 2300. This dosnt seem like a big change and its really not, but if i was to ever draw a elk tag it would take me to the opposite end of the state where the elevation would jump to 4000 to 6300 ish. With all that said, personally i am not a fan of yardage marked turrets. If i was to confirm my zero on a nice day for a elk hunt with a yardage marked turret then drive across the state and conditions change dramatically and i get in some higher elevation and see a big elk at say 650 yards and dial to 650 on my turret, would it be a hit or miss when i squeeze off a round? my money is on a big miss. i have played around with this type of scenario on a ballistic calculator and it usually was a miss. in a few not as extreme cases it was a wounded animal. After looking at these variables i went with a kestrel 4500 nv with horus ballistics and a moa turret and i couldnt be happier with the results, consistant hits in all conditions!