Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Things I learned Shooting Crop Damage Deer by Dave King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 09:54 PM

Wow I think shooting deer like this is a waste. That is the problem with most people who own property they complain about all the deer but won't let anyone hunt there property. There just a bunch of dorks. I just don't understand, if they are afraid to have the average hunter on there property then allow bow hunters. Then they don't have to worry about bullets flying around. I'm sure you guys that do this can't enjoy hunting to its fullest anymore.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Usually the property owners started out trying to handle the problem by allowing and encouraging hunters, but many hunters are about husbanding the deer population and not about reducing the deer herd. Farmers catch on fairly quick and one thing they know for sure is that its the does that have fawns and not the bucks. When the hunters only shoot bucks the farmers lose interest in their methods pretty quick. Perhaps by the time a farmer gets done trying to handle the problem with his known means, hunters, the deer population is a problem, a problem that can only be handled well by shooters.

Many hunters are their own worst enemy with farmers... The single most common complaint I've heard from farmers and commercial producers is that the "hunters" take them for fools and only kill a few does if forced to but are mainly after bucks. The other big complaint is that having a lot of hunters running loose on the property is very hard on their (farmers) lives and property, there'll be fences run down, gates left open, trash left about, cattle run off or run through fences/gates... It's rare to find a farmer that'll let unknown folks hunt nowadays, this is becuse folks don't generally respect other folks (the farmer's) property.

Using shooters is easy for most farmers, the shooters are known and coming and going is accounted as are the deer counts. Known and verifiable results and folks that can be held accountable.

Yes, being a shooter for crop damage does change the outlook on hunting for many but the benefit for me is that I help the farmer, I can also hunt on the land as if its my own for species other than deer. I've become a very good deer hunter. Its really no longer a 'hunt' (struggle to find) for deer, I have a very good idea where and what they're up to, I can pick and choose based on my desires.

Mostly now I teach other new hunters to hunt, I get much more enjoyment out of their excitement and thrill for the hunt. I do at times feel a little guilty for walking the new guys around in circles, tracking, scouting, second guessing, learning about deer for a few hours before going to where the deer are surely to be residing and letting them get their deer.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:52 PM

Re: Things I learned Shooting Crop Damage Deer by Dave King

I'm new to the LRH Forum, so I know I'm very late in replying to this article, however: That's A Darn Good Article! Thanks!