Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

A Store Bought Long Range Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

Re: A Store Bought Long Range Rig

I do not recall if I ever shot 140's through the rifle. Yes this was well before the Demnsion came out. I haven't seen any Icons come out of the factory in a while. T/C moved their manufacturing to MA. and they are busy making their new rifle. I am not sure when the Icons will be back on the market and I cannot get a date from the factory.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:59 PM

what do you think of the optics in the millit how does it compair to vortex viper pst 4-16 -50
Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Silver Member

After checking my load book I did get to shoot some 140's and they shot real well. I actually sold the rifle to a reader not soon after I wrote about it. I have been trying to get another regular Icon in 6.5 but it appears they have all their attention and machines on the Dimension. Being a writer, I do not have a lot of time, usually 90 days with the rifle. As you can imagine I have to get a scope, reloading supplies etc. I was a product testing editor and only had about three weeks tops with every product. Some rifles take 200 rounds to get the best accuracy. I am getting an article out soon on the 6.5x47 Lapua and in many ways it just as good as the Creedmoor. Another sleeper is the 7mm-08.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Silver Member

The Millet had nice optics for its price. I have only tested the Vortex red dot. I do not know how it would compare. I have the Millet on a ,260 Steyr and it performs well but is fairly large.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Platinum Member

The TC in 6.5 Creedmore is heavy, too heavy for a pack in rifle with a suitable scope and a couple cartridges in the magazine IMO.....unless you are the bionic man and immune to carrying a heavy rifle over hill and dale.....

The Savage 11 Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 without a scope is 5.5 pounds or 7.9 with a Vortex 4.5-16 PST and a couple in the magazine aboard, much more conducive to carry in your pack all day....

The Savage also suffers from a too short barrel.......

For hunting, I don't see the 6.5 being reliable over 500 yards at least in the clean kill catergory. The 308 and 6.5 are comparable except that the 6.5 is a bit flatter trajectory speaking than the 308 but Hornady is the only manufacturer currently producing the 6.5 unless you handload. The 308 is available everywhere in anything.

I have and like both the 6.5 and 308 in the 11 LWH Series....
Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

You are absolutely correct about the weight problem but the title of the article does not say hunting rifle. I personally think after shooting both .308 and 6.5 C they are close to equal with a good bullet. As far as maxiumum distance for taking animals, that I have no experience and can only look at ballistics. The Savage light weight is a good rifle to pack in the mountains but if I am going to shoot long distance everyday, the weight of the T/C I used, is well appreciated. The Savage long range hunter might be a good all round rifle. Anyway, everyone has their own thoughts, experiences and ideas. Stick with what YOU like.

I wish Savage would try a 5R barreled rifle.