Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

A Store Bought Long Range Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: A Store Bought Long Range Rig

Thanks for the reply john, ill check out the konus scope tonight, kinda leading toward vortex .6x24 ffp ,have u had a look at them, they seem to be a excellent scope for the money.looking forward to a review from u of that scope and more take care.timmy
Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Silver Member

The Vortex should be a good scope but I have no experience with it yet. Another one to look at is the Hawke. I just got one and it looks well made. I am waiting on a Savage LR hunter to put it on. That article will be out in the next few months. Mueller also makes a great scope in that price range.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsingleshot View Post
The Vortex should be a good scope but I have no experience with it yet. Another one to look at is the Hawke. I just got one and it looks well made. I am waiting on a Savage LR hunter to put it on. That article will be out in the next few months. Mueller also makes a great scope in that price range.
When it comes to buying rifle scopes with a 3 digit price tag, the vortex viper PST is as good as it gets. the retical and turrest match, it comes with a zero stop, and a functional retical that is second to none. It has enough elivation to get anything based on a .308 case to the 1000 yard line on a flat base. The catch is it cost a bit more coin that the Millet LRS.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

I am confused. I thought (and believe ) a scope should be mounted as low as possible . Zeroing and shooting is much easier. This scope looks to be mounted entirely too high.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

First the height of the scope mounts is dictated by the size of the objective. Second the objective is 56mm and the tube is 35mm. Third due to the size of the tube, Millett supplied the rings for the scope. The rings are high enough to fit most rifle/barrel combinations. Normally the height of the mount is dictated by the scope and the fit to the shooter. My tests show the heigth of this scope was not detrimental to the fit or accuaracy for me.

Last edited by olsingleshot; 02-01-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Bronze Member

How does the Icon compare to their new Venture? From what I understand the Venture has the same action, trigger and barrel. Just a composite stock. I just purchased one of the Venture in 270 and am looking for a good scope, probably a Millett LRS.

I also have one of the Millett LRS mounted on a 20 moa EGW rail on my new Remington 700 Target/Tactical .308 26" barrel 5R rifling. I agree that the scope is clean all the way out to the edges, only problem that I have with mine in that at max. magnification it get's a little blurred. Have to back off to 24 power and everything in clear as a bell. This is, in my opinion a great scope for the money. It make 600 to 800 yard shoots much easier for us older guys.....
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Silver Member

That is a good question about the Venture. I will try to get an answer for you. I have seen and handled the Venture but cannot tell you why it would be different than the PH. Stay tuned.