Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

A Store Bought Long Range Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Administrator

A Store Bought Long Range Rig

Quote:
You are looking for a setup that will not be more expensive than your last car, but that you can still use to be a serious contender. You really don't want to wait months for a custom rifle, and you may not have the time to work up a good hand load. Well look no more. I have found a long range rig that will do everything you want and more, without forcing you to sell your firstborn. You can buy this setup, sight it in, and you will be ready to compete using store bought ammunition. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, A Store Bought Long Range Rig, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: A Store Bought Long Range Rig

Nice article, is that the rifle that has the bases machined on to the receiver? Wouldn't like the option to not be able to but 20moa bases on it. I am intrigued by the creedmoor, i am going to have to get one some day
Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Yes it is. That makes for secure bases but you are right about the MOA bases. This Millet scope had 140 MOA adjustment which should be enough.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Should be plenty, wouldn't figure the creedmoor to have much left past a 1000 any way.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballjr View Post
Nice article, is that the rifle that has the bases machined on to the receiver? Wouldn't like the option to not be able to but 20moa bases on it. I am intrigued by the creedmoor, i am going to have to get one some day
Just a thought. You could use the Burris signature rings instead of the 20 MOA base and make up for the adjustment that way. They are my favorite rings and would handle the job perfectly!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

Nice article John, what did you think of that scope, I called bushnell the other day to talk to them about there 4200 tactial ffp mil scope witch they have dicided to not make anymore. The man on the phone told me about the same scope u had on that gun. I really wanted a 4200 tactial 6x24 ffp, He told me to try the millett lrs et that i belive is the scope u were using . Its going to be mounted on a 338 edge. How was the clarity and repeatibilty? Thanks timmy.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Silver Member

It was a very good LR scope for the money. The clicks were positive and performed the four corner test well. As with any high magnification scope the eye relief was short and I found myself constantly moving. This was far better at lower magnification. The big tube kind of turned me off but it appears quite a few manufactuers are going that way. Clarity was good even around the edges. I plan on testing it some more and writing an article about the LR scopes in the price range. Take a look at the Konus LR scope and let me know what you think. Email me if you want. JJ