Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

The Skull As A Trophy By Troy Adams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: The Skull As A Trophy By Troy Adams

yes, i wanted to use the original skull for the full body mount. the taxidermist told me it couldnt be done any longer. so i had him have it cleaned for display on the mantle. pa. bear and taxidermist.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

Is it possible to buy these Beatles?

Last edited by 270 Sender0; 10-27-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Silver Member

The article says the skull is not bleached in "bleaching" i.e. whitening but does not say what chemical is used ??
The article says the skull is "degreased" but does not say what chemical or process is used ??
I too have tried this on bears,bucks and cats and run into: 1) teeth falling out 2) nasal sections breaking off / falling out 3) inconsistent color in differing sections of the skull - I ASS/U/ME that is a degreasing factor 4) not knowing how to connect the mandible back to the skull once the connecting soft tissue i.e. ligaments rot out.
Does the mentioned Q&A address these topics ? Maybe I thought this was a " how to " article since he opened with lamenting the cost of taxidermy.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:54 AM
Bronze Member

Hey guys, it's probably gonna sound strange but I've had really good luck just hanging the skull in a bucketful of water out in a nearby tree. For horned mounts try to make sure no part of the antlers is submerged, it WILL change the color. The water seems to soften the tissues well and, as it evaporates, the local bugs do the rest in stages. That eliminates some of the smell, just keep an eye on the water level frequently during hot weather! If necessary, as a final "cleaning" I just set it on an ant bed that so frequently otherwise annoy me! Some of the taxidermists I've seen do a real skull mount actually spray paint the finished product with a "Bone" color that really looked pretty good. I guess in the other, more expensive process they add a preformed skull to your horns?
As for the long term lasting appearance I have an 8 point that, aside from hitting the floor a couple of times during moves, still looks pretty good! When it needs a cleaning I wipe a rag with bleach over it and follow with a clean wet rag!

"Poor people have poor ways...."

Last edited by longrifle; 11-15-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:04 AM

If you live, hunt in the Great Pacific N.W. I can recommend Robert Bicknell of SkullDuggery on the web at "skullpreparation" His specimens are always clean yet un-eroded. He is located in Toutle Washington Tel. 360-749-9814 I am on the prowl for a ram to have Robert strip for me.