Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Shooting a 223 to a Mile Accurately By Jerry Teo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Writers Guild

Re: Shooting a 223 to a Mile Accurately By Jerry Teo

Eaglet, thanks for posting the videos. Yep, that us blasting away. There was a nice 50BMG right beside us shaking the ground and camera. Quite the boomer.

In the picture of my shooting prone, you can see a clear batch on the faraway hillside just above the band of trees. My aiming spot is just below the ridgeline, under the 'double' trees. Under the letter 'i' in manning the camera.

Mike, glad that you and your wife could make it to the BCRA shoot on the long weekend. Wish I could have made it. Lots of great shooting in typical west coast weather.

Like you, I see alot of potential for the 223 especially at shorter distances. The big short fall is I have yet to be able to hot rod the case without serious loss of accuracy. With Varget, I am just compressing the load using 80gr Amax/Bergers set for my rifle mag. Throated longer might help.

Have shot H4350 to superb accuracy but very slow. Not sure what powder you could use to get things faster.

For this project and shorter distance F class, no matter but that extra 100fps is nice when going to 1000yds. Both bullets were very driveable and vertical was not an issue.

I am glad that you have all enjoyed this article. I really enjoyed the experiment and am thrilled at how much better the results ended up.

I took a walk to see that rock and from the marks on it, the bullets were landing in a group about 8" wide X 3" high. There were divots big enough to know that the bullet still has some oomph.

I full expect this bullet to be PD lethal at that range. Anyone living in varmint country want to try????

Jerry
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

So, we are to believe the rifle being shot in the video is a .223? I guess I can buy that but would have liked to see the camera pan down onto the shooter and rifle then pan out to the target so we know for sure. The real tuff one to swallow is the .076" group at 200 yards. Given it's only a three shot group but considering you get an official screamer patch for any 5 shot group under .250" at 200 yards, this group would have stayed on par to beat the world record? Gulp. ANd it was written on the target .076" but in the text it shrunk even more to a .056"?? I wish my groups did that!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
PUBLISHER

I have to get us some cute little green "envy" icons to use in threads like this one.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 08-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Writers Guild

GG, if you do the math on the target, you will quickly see that 0.056" is the actual measurement.

No I am not saying this is consistent accuracy but one super group done in testing. As I mentioned in the text, this barrel was more a 1/4 to 1/3min type shooter at 200yds. The Bergers definitely averaged smaller groups then the Amax.

As to whether you believe that I shot a 223 or even shot at all, that's entirely up to you. And no, I am not going to get 30 afterdavits signed (number of shooters that witness the shooting) to appease concerned readers like yourself...

Jerry
Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticplayer View Post
GG, if you do the math on the target, you will quickly see that 0.056" is the actual measurement.

No I am not saying this is consistent accuracy but one super group done in testing. As I mentioned in the text, this barrel was more a 1/4 to 1/3min type shooter at 200yds. The Bergers definitely averaged smaller groups then the Amax.

As to whether you believe that I shot a 223 or even shot at all, that's entirely up to you. And no, I am not going to get 30 afterdavits signed (number of shooters that witness the shooting) to appease concerned readers like yourself...

Jerry
One super group is right! The smallest 5 shot 100 yard group I've ever fired was a .049 from a full custom 6ppc using 5 windflags and taking 7 minutes to complete and fired from a concrete bench. You used a Stevens semi-custom .223, no windflags, and fired a group just slightly larger than that (3 shots of course) at 200 yards and you admitted it was from a rickety, wobbly bench? I think God would have hard a time beating your group! Am I envious, yes! You need to sign up for a few benchrest matches and secure your name in the Hall of Fame!

I can believe the lobbing of a bullet at one mile from your .223. I have been known to far exceed the limits of my own rifles a time or ten. But others who you have had a hard time convincing might have been more convinced had the video offered any proof. That was all I was trying to say. Next time, have the camera man pan down and show the gun and shooter real time and it will make for a more convincing video.

These were just my thoughts. No malice intended. I'm just a pessimistic arse sometimes.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Writers Guild

My 200yd testing is done off concrete benches with a few wind flags at my range. Then I move to my LR site.

Shoot prone now both to practise for my F class matches and to get away from my wobbly benches. The Ground is a whole lot more stable. If you look at the pics in the orig article, you will see that I was shooting prone during the 1 mile video.

I have had wonderful success with these Stevens rifles using quality barrels. Yes, I have shot a number of groups that would be considered screamers but that is with rifles that don't conform to any BR classes.

Nor shot under match conditions - which is how most BR shooters define true performance. So take it or leave it.... no matter.

Considering what can be done to 'shop' any image/video, there is nothing you can say or show to ensure that the info has not been doctored.

So, you either believe in what the author is saying or you don't. As I said, this video was shot during a fun match with over 30 shooters. You can see some of the trucks and shooters during the opening part of the video.

Jerry
Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
I have to get us some cute little green "envy" icons to use in threads like this one.
You mean... Like this...

this might work...

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!

Last edited by Eaglet; 08-12-2008 at 02:58 PM.