Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Magazine Articles > Technical Articles - Discussion

Setting Up Your Scope by Jerry Teo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Writers Guild

Re: Setting Up Your Scope by Jerry Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move silent strike hard View Post
I am new to making scope adjustments and I do not understand the resaon for converting the drop from inches to MOA. Why cant you simply adjust the number of clicks that equals the number of inches of drop?

Are there any books that would help me to understand this?

Thank you,

Tracy
You are doing the same math regardless of how you think of it.

The scope adj's are usually in MOA so at some point you will have to figure out the number of clicks that you need to reach out. You will have to convert the number of inches to moa/mins so that you can figure how many clicks on your scope to adj.

Reticles can be read in MOA so there is a way to use that to account for adjustments ie you know that the distance between hash marks is 2 MOA and the bullet hits 3 hash marks off target. Dial in 6 mins and center on the target.

When dealing in inches, the values get really big and then you have to do the mental gymnastics to go back to MOA pending the distance you are shooting to.

Then you can adjust your scope.

Easier just to stay in MOA or Minutes for everything.

have a look at a ballistics program - JBM on the internet is readily available and you can see how these charts are laid out. I think you will find that working in MOA/Minutes simplifies things alot.

When you start shooting, this will all make alot more sense.

Jerry
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 AM

I am new to this forums........
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Hello Jerry,

I have done many tests with my current gun setup, but now see from your article that I skipped your dial-up steps to check for canting, and repeatability. I currently use a Carl Ziess 6.5-20 x50 with the Rapid Z1000 reticle with target turrets on my custom .300 Win Mag and have exceptional results. The only thing I think could be improved on the scope is it's total elevation MOA being 45". I really like the clear glass and fine crosshair reticle though. Thanks for the info as I will be performing these tests during one of my next practice sessions at a short range.
I have been able to maximize my scope for adjustable elevation MOA. (my zero is just a couple clicks from the bottom) so my question is, do I need a target about 25" tall (with the aim point on the bottom) to test this at a 50yd distance? Am I also right in thinking that 1/2" difference on the target is equal to a 1" MOA on my scope?

Thanks again for a great article!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Writers Guild

You are correct - 1/2" at 50yds is essentially 1MOA (round off math but close enough for what we are doing).

If you find you do not have enough UP to reach where you want, start with a much higher 100yds ZERO.

Most of these reticles have some markings above the center which can be referenced for closer distances.

Enjoy the tests and let us know how your scope tracks.

Jerry
Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticplayer View Post
The scope adj's are usually in MOA so at some point you will have to figure out the number of clicks that you need to reach out. You will have to convert the number of inches to moa/mins so that you can figure how many clicks on your scope to adj.
No,, Scopes are GENERALIZED as adjusting/holding in increments of MOA.
But this is NEVER true until tested and proven so -locally.
By far most scopes are really Inches per Hundred Yards [IPHY], often haphazardly assumed 'close enough' to MOA, but not incremental in MOA at all.

Test adjustments. Test holdovers. Enter them correctly in ballistic software.